Late-Hopped Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polkbar

Reaction score
I have a good amount of Styrian Goldings I'd like to use in my next brew. After success with my last Amarillo/Simcoe late-hopped IPA, I was thinking of trying the late-hopping/hopburst technique in a Belgian IPA.

Below is what I put together. My last Belgian IPA used Styrian Goldings for flavor/aroma and was dry hopped with Amarillo. I used 3711 and some rye malt. It turned out great. I'd like to stick to more floral/spicy hop profiles with this one and I plan to start low and ramp up temp with the Ardennes yeast, which I've heard produces nice spiciness at higher temps.

Anyone have experience using a substantial amount of Styrian Goldings? They smell great, but I rarely see recipes calling for this much.

Does the Ardennes seem like a good choice for this beer? I would use 3711 again, but I'd like to try something different.

Any criticisms or comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

OG 1.070
FG 1.008
ABV 8.3%
IBU 61

Extract:
1 lb. Sugar
5 lbs Extra Light DME (Pilsner)

Partial Mash:
2 lbs. Belgian Pale
1.75 lb. Rye Malt
.25 lb. Flaked Barley

Hops:
20 min. 2 oz. Styrian Golding
15 min: 2 oz. Styrian Golding
10 min: 2 oz. Styrian Golding
5 min: 2 oz. Styrian Golding
FO: 2 oz. Styrian Golding
2 oz. Sterling

Yeast:
Wyeast 3522 – Ardennes

According to the tastybrew recipe calculator it should be 61 IBU. I am doing a full boil and my Styrian Goldings are 5.5% AA.

Back