Late Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finny13

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA on Wednesday (all extract) and pitched Wyeast Ringwood Yeast. The brewing process went all according to plan. I pitched my yeast Wednesday evening. When I woke up Thursday morning my airlock was not bubbling.

I found this weird, because in my past 4 brews ( Still a noobie ) I've had action in the airlock within 12 hours. So I went about my day, checked before I went to bed. Still no action. Woke up this morning, still no action. I just checked now, and now its going nuts. This is almost a full 48 hours after pitching.

I've never used Ringwood before, so I dont know if it is a slow starter? I ordered the yeast along with the rest of my ingredients from northern brewer which took about 3 days to get here. I had it cold packed and when it arrived it wasnt cold, but wasnt warm either. Maybe this contributed to it?

Should I have anything to worry about? Is there an increased risk of infection because it took so long to start or am I in the clear?

You'l be fine. But next time make a starter. it will reduce lag time. You likely underpitched this batch.

Back