Late extract addition, Hop utilization and such

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to make my first extract LME brew in a long time (free extract) and it is a weizen so I am trying to keep color light by doing a late addition.

I have looked at a bunch of threads, but I don't see much on the way of calculating HU besides saying anywhere from 1/4-1/2 the amount of bittering hops.

I have also tried using Beersmith to calculate late addition, but I must be doing something wrong because the numbers aren't changing from adding all of the LME at 60mins vs 2/3 of the LME at 15mins. OG stays the same, IBUs stay the same.

Here is the recipe:

OG 1.050
FG 1.012
IBUs: 13

Boil Time: 60mins
Pre-boil volume: 7.0 G
Pre Boil gravity 1.043

Grain: Wheat LME 8.6#

Hops: Hersbrucker 3.1% AA .95 oz @60mins

I was thinking of adding 3.3# of LME at 60mins and then the rest at 15mins, but I don't know if that will give me my target gravity of if I need to condense it more with a boil.

Hops I was thinking of cutting back to .75oz

Does this sound ok? and if anyone would like to give me the secret for Beersmith to calculate late extract additions and HU, etc. that would be great.

Thanks again

I know I'm very new to brewing but I don't understand how adding malts late in could effect anything color wise. Flavor sure as it is something getting cooked but not sure about the color aspect especially if you add water in at the end to take it up to 5 gallons or whatever.

I think the extract will darken when its exposed to heat, the longer its exposed the heat the darker it will become, maybe because it's getting burnt on the bottom of the pot?

I use brewers friend to calculate my recipes and they show an increase in IBU's with late addition. The reason why has something to do with the extract reducing the pH of the wort making it harder for the hops to lose their acid. Could be wrong though.

Late addition should not affect OG.

I know I'm very new to brewing but I don't understand how adding malts late in could effect anything color wise. Flavor sure as it is something getting cooked but not sure about the color aspect especially if you add water in at the end to take it up to 5 gallons or whatever.

Boiling the ME causes it to darken and also changes the flavor profile. ME are already "boiled" and I know that LME has been boiled and hot break has occurred.

Hop Utilization is higher because the lower the gravity the easier it is for HU to occur. Or not I guess depending on who you ask.

I just want to know if cutting back the hops 25% sounds good and what I am doing wrong with Beersmith.

My water profile also seems to accentuate hop bitterness so maybe scale it (hops) back by 1/3-1/2

Back