Late Diacetyl rest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birzzz

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a lager with Saflager 34/70 yeast. I was fermenting at 12.5c. OG was 1.052, after 12 days I took a sample and I am already at 1.008. I guess I'm already at FG. I bumped the temp to 17c, but I was wondering if it would work OK if I'm doing it when at FG. I know you are supposed to do the diacetyl rest when you are between 2-5 point till FG, but I guess I missed my window. What effect will it have if any?

Thanks,

You can definitely do a diacetyl rest after reaching FG. You just won't have saved the little bit of time associated with multi-tracking it with the end of attenuation.

You can definitely do a diacetyl rest after reaching FG. You just won't have saved the little bit of time associated with multi-tracking it with the end of attenuation.

ahhhhhhh I see, from what I understand there is no benefit other than saving time to begin the diacetyl rest towards the end rather than AT the end like my situation.

Thanks for clarifying that out.

Also, you don't need to do a diacetyl rest if there's no diacetyl in the beer. A temperature controlled ferment doesn't tend to produce noticeable diacetyl.

Also, you don't need to do a diacetyl rest if there's no diacetyl in the beer.

I'd say that a little differently. There's no need for a diacetyl rest if there's no significant diacetyl or diacetyl precursor (α-acetolactate) in the beer. Unfortunately, α-acetolactate can't be tasted, which is why some people do a diacetyl rest as insurance. The way to know for sure if there is an issue would be to do a forced diacetyl test.

As far as I can recall, W-34/70 doesn't seem to produce much diacetyl (or precursor). It's a pretty clean yeast at any temperature. I wouldn't worry about it with this yeast. It never hurts to do a diacetyl rest. But sometimes it doesn't even help anything, don't always need it.

Back