Late arriving rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
Back in March before everything went sideways, I ordered some rhizomes from AIH. In early May, I emailed and asked about the order - was told then that as long as they were in the ground by the end of the month, they should be ok. I just got an email saying that they're on their way - a little late. I'm at about 46 deg N latitude in MN - assuming I get them in the ground as soon as they arrive, what should I expect? Are my chances better than even they survive?

I would plant and water them, also feed them with some fish emulsion fertilizer every two weeks.
you probably will only get a few cones this year, but next year will be better.
I have cascade and centennial hops and some kind of golding or close to it hop.
all are about 4 years old now.

Back in March before everything went sideways, I ordered some rhizomes from AIH. In early May, I emailed and asked about the order - was told then that as long as they were in the ground by the end of the month, they should be ok. I just got an email saying that they're on their way - a little late. I'm at about 46 deg N latitude in MN - assuming I get them in the ground as soon as they arrive, what should I expect? Are my chances better than even they survive?
One of my batches arrived Saturday (26 Crystal rhizomes), and I got them in the ground Sunday morning. The goal for the first year is to get them rooted and stable to winter over.

RDWHAHB

I just ordered 2 cascade rhizomes to replace my mt hood and sterling that didnt sprout...
Even tho im in so cal and the cascade may get baked...the cost of a couple more rhizomes is small compared to what i spent on the pots, soil, fertilizer, "trellis"...
better to give them a shot...fingers crossed for us late-planters!

I just ordered 2 cascade rhizomes to replace my mt hood and sterling that didnt sprout...
Even tho im in so cal and the cascade may get baked...the cost of a couple more rhizomes is small compared to what i spent on the pots, soil, fertilizer, "trellis"...
better to give them a shot...fingers crossed for us late-planters!

Geeze, every time I read your posts about your concerns with growing hops in SD, I think I have no chance in growing them in a much hotter climate in southern AZ. Then, within a few seconds after reading your posts, each time I think about the cool breezes in SD right now..... :D

Yep! Im not terribly far from the ocean, hopefully yields a good crop...
Funny...I like visiting AZ a lot...cept when its above 105F...then I like anywhere with air-conditioning 😆

you're fine, I planted one in June last year, it's alive and rooted but it's a runt. Everything else is doing very well.

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_154400.jpg
    IMG_20200530_154400.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 26
My rhizomes came today.
  • Cascade bag: 1 rhizome
  • Mt. Hood bag: 1 rhizome
  • Wilammette bag: 3 rhizomes
  • Sterling bag: 0 rhizomes
So obviously there was some sort of mistake. Guess I need to try to figure that one out.

My rhizomes came today.
  • Cascade bag: 1 rhizome
  • Mt. Hood bag: 1 rhizome
  • Wilammette bag: 3 rhizomes
  • Sterling bag: 0 rhizomes
So obviously there was some sort of mistake. Guess I need to try to figure that one out.
What did you order?

You can call them back and tell them that they won't be getting a sterling review from you either...😝

You can call them back and tell them that they won't be getting a sterling review from you either...😝
Maybe not Sterling, but the review got a little better. I got a reply from AIH saying that they did not get any Sterling rhizomes at all this year - but they for some reason sent out empty bags? Oh well - wish I had known earlier so I could've ordered something sorta like that.

Maybe not Sterling, but the review got a little better. I got a reply from AIH saying that they did not get any Sterling rhizomes at all this year - but they for some reason sent out empty bags? Oh well - wish I had known earlier so I could've ordered something sorta like that.
For what it's worth, I planted rhizomes on May 30 and saw the first green shoots this morning. Latitude 43.4N, Wisconsin. You may not get all the growth you wanted this year, but it looks like you can still get them rooted enough to make it through the winter and get into your brewpot next year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back