Late addition of sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkur

BJCP #B1441
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - I brewed a 5 gallon batch of all grain English Ale this week and was just reviewing the recipe when I realized that the recipe calls for the addition of 2.7 oz of cane sugar after the boil. I saw the sugar on the recipe and thought that was for bottling.

It's not the worst thing to leave out of a brew, but I was wondering about pulling off a quart or so of the fermenting wort (I am using a fermenter with a spigot so that is easy), boiling it and dissolving the sugar before chilling it and re-adding it to the fermenter.

What are the thoughts here? Is there a calculator that would tell me what the Specific Gravity impact of 2.7oz of sugar would be in a 5.5 gallon batch? I was wondering why my gravities were slightly off.

Thanks,

Paul

Any decent recipe calculator can tell you what 2.7 ounces of sugar in a five gallon batch will do to SG - roughly, 1 point (ie: +0.001).

At this point I wouldn't bother...

Cheers!

If fermentation is still active, you could just pour it in the fermenter. It will dissolve and the yeast will find it.

But as said above, 2.7 oz not gonna make or break.

It will make the fermentation longer as its new sugar being added. I second the not bothering at this point.

You'll get a boozier beer for sure and a slightly different taste.

Back