Last non BMC beer you've dumped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ó Flannagáin said:
I've never liked a shiner beer I've tried either.

I had their Kolsch last night, it was a pretty solid beer. Im not a big fan of anything else they make and hate their "bock"

I've got to agree with both the A-B Bourbon Barrel crap and the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. Luckily, my roommate's father will drink anything, so I took them over to him (kind of felt bad about it, but he insisted).

Ó Flannagáin said:
I've never liked a shiner beer I've tried either.
Me neither. Their hefe is almost palatable, but it's just a cloudy, mild ale, not really a hefe. I had three Shiner Bocks in the fridge for several months. I wound up using them to make beer bread since I couldn't stand the thought of drinking them.

The last commercial brew I dumped was SA's Winter Lager...YUCK!

Surprised someone actually dumped DFH 60. That was my intro to superhopped American IPAs. My first impression of it was, "Wow, this is like a faceful of hops!" When I drink it now, I think, "Wow, this is pretty malty." Funny how palates can change...

I don't think Shiner travels very well. I bought some in San Antonio once upon a time (2002? 2003?), put the rest of the six in my cooler, drove I think to Tucson the next day and poured it out. I guess it probably travels better than my homebrew.

I poured out all the commercial pumpkins I tried this year, evrything I tried had too much spice in it.

I _thought_ I was going to dump 5 of the Alaskan Brewery's Winter Ale with spruce tips, but it sorta grew on me. Not that I am going to rush and an buy another six...

This is touted as a micro brew, but if you read closely, it is a AB beer.

Beach Bum Blonde Ale.

59673.jpg

Some dipstick bought a six pack for a brewfest and it ended up in my cooler after the party. I popped one, spit it out, the proceeded to pour down the drain the other 4 bottles I found.

It is one of the nastiest beers I've tasted.

The BMCs have been doing that a lot lately, with Beach Bum, Leinenkugel, Stone Mill. They market these beers as microbrews, but they're mainly just crap.

Professor Frink said:
The BMCs have been doing that a lot lately, with Beach Bum, Leinenkugel, Stone Mill. They market these beers as microbrews, but they're mainly just crap.

It's like they're trying to dilute the "brand" which is micro-brewed beer. Get enough terrible ones out into the market place that unknowledgeable consumers give up on trying new things.

i very seldom dump any beer except free BMC. I have had a few that were not my favs including Duvel, and any fruit beer including pumpkin ales.
Recently I decided to try a Molson XXX as my BIL (who appreciates my homebrew) usually drinks this beer. It was just another BMC type beer with more alcohol. It went down the drain.

Craig

A friend's girlfriend brought over a six pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade light. I couldn't even bother to dump them out, they're still sitting on the floor next to my beer cabinet.

Professor Frink said:
A friend's girlfriend brought over a six pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade light. I couldn't even bother to dump them out, they're still sitting on the floor next to my beer cabinet.

You'll get diabetes before you'll get drunk drinking them. Although I do enjoy a limeade once in a blue moon.

Last beer i dumped was a Busch, but since we're not talking about BMC's... It would have to be a DFH Indian Pale Ale. Just did not like it.

cd2448 said:
that stuff is really an acquired taste. i was in bamberg once and they had a blurb on a bar menu that said you needed to get to your third beer and you'd be hooked. i didn't even finish one.

last beer i tasted that i didn't like was flying fish belgian dubbel. too strong tasting, matured in bourbon casks (which might, of course, appeal to some).

and bear in mind i'm drinking my first home brew that still has a hint of cardboard about it, i'm not exactly discerning.

I liked the bourbon aged version, but I'm not exactly crazy over the regular one. If I may ask, was this at the brewery tour after Thanksgiving?

Last two I dumped were SA Cream Stout, which I've drank before this one. And...Royal Extra Stout from Trinidad. My brother had the other bottle of it and said his didn't taste like mine, so I guess it was a bad bottle.

Wow, this thread has been interesting. Here is a list of beers that others have dumped (or almost dumped) that I absolutely love.

Sam Adams Boston Lager - I gotta rant a little here. This is still the best American lager I've had and the ONLY lager I drink regularly. It's on the light side, but it actually has a very, very balanced hop/malt taste to me. I would agree that some of Sam Adams seasonals aren't so hot. I like their black lager and Oktoberfest. I really don't care for their Summer/Winter Ales.

Duvel - I'm dumbfounded. I love this beer

DFH 60 Min IPA - Someone here commented that it's a little heavy on the maltiness for the style, which I agree with. I actually don't think it's too malty, I think it's underattenuated, but it's the same effect. Still a fine beer, and far from a dumper.

Fruit Lambics - Must be a style thing. I even go for some gueze every now and then.

DFH Midas Touch - Truly unique beer and I'm ecstactic that someone is willing to take this kind of a gamble on a historic beer.

The last beer I dumped? An Icehouse that had been cooled, heated back up to room temp, then cooled again. It was about as bad as it gets.

I have dumped a tall of Butt Lite onto my friend that should know better than to order me one when I get up to break the seal, (I may have been a few shades past gone at that point but doesn't mean I want to drink that crap)

besides that I dumped about 3/4 of growler that I found that I had forgot about :( poor beer, I tried it before I dumped it though

Yuri_Rage said:
The last commercial brew I dumped was SA's Winter Lager...YUCK!

QUOTE]

I love the Winter Lager. I think it is so good, and so does swmbo. I know Sam Adam's is such a lighning rod for discussion around here, almost as much as BMC. That in mind I am going to criticize another beer after praising the winter lager. SA Brown Ale sucks. I'm not much for most brown ales, but theirs is worse than most. I have never dumped it though, but it sucks that it comes in a mixed 6 pack with 2 other beers I like. the last time i truly wasted a beer was when I went into this bar in Detroit and ordered a Motor City Pale Ale. I thought I was an APA, but it turned out to be and English style pale ale, it was probably ok if you like the style, but I don't. Now I know to ask if its American or Englist Pale ale.

sause said:
The reason you didn't know it is that it isn't. It's owned by the Whitbread brewery but is contract brewed in the US.

...with a different recipe and higher ABV than the English version. IIRC, there is also a third version brewed in the Caribbean. Whitbread sold off their breweries in 2001 and the English version is brewed by InBev or someone like that under contract.

sause said:
The reason you didn't know it is that it isn't. It's owned by the Whitbread brewery but is contract brewed in the US.

Ahh, well that's different. I have no problem with Sam Adam's contracting with other breweries that make good beer :)

Ó Flannagáin said:
Ahh, well that's different. I have no problem with Sam Adam's contracting with other breweries that make good beer :)

You mean the brewery that doesn't even brew beer anymore and is now in the hotel/hospitality business? :drunk:

Yea the only DFH products I havent loved were the rasin de extra or whatever they call them. That company makes some good stuff.

As far as SA goes I like most of their stuff, including seasonals.

Quote Sir Humpsalot Dumped an Anheuser-Busch Bourbon-Barrel-Aged Vanilla Beer.

I have never even heard of that where did you get it?

RICLARK said:
Quote Sir Humpsalot Dumped an Anheuser-Busch Bourbon-Barrel-Aged Vanilla Beer.

I have never even heard of that where did you get it?

I got it at Woodman's... a local grocery store chain here in the midwest.

I don't know what to say except it was pretty bad.

The last few I have had to dump was a Pumpkin ale that I don't remember the name of that was just terrible, trashed the whole sixer.

I finally got around to trying Guinness Drought that I ended up dumping, nasty stuff although many people seem to like it. I tried it several times and still couldn't choke it down. Looked pretty in the glass tho.

I dumped some sort of pumpkin ale around Halloween, don't even remember the name. My second ever dumping was last night, and may get me banned. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Should have a warning on the bottle- " THIS IS AN IPA, NOT A MALTY WINTER WARMER". Obviously I am not a hophead, and wasn't expecting that.

I dont dump out beer very often no matter how bad it is but I sat down with some LeinenKugels Apple Spice last night and Hated it I dumped it out and gave the rest to my sister. Does anyone like this beer?

+2 on the Leinies Sunset Wheat, that stuff is way to fruity.
Leinies Berry Weis, again to fruity.
Some beer that had a large jalepino in it. I got it when I turned 21 ( I received 21 different bottles of beer). I was scared of it and it sat in the back of the frdige for about 2-3 years - nasty!!

Sir Humpsalot said:
Dumped an Anheuser-Busch Bourbon-Barrel-Aged Vanilla Beer. It was just another ****ty BMC product as far as I'm concerned.

I bought a bottle of that stuff once and did not see who made it. I was so pissed when I got home and seen that it was an AB brew. I drank it and was not happy about it. :mad:

I'm bumping this just so I don't start a new thread because it's somewhat along the same lines.

What's all the hype about Bell's?

I've now had 4 beers from them: Oberon, Two-hearted, Kalamazoo, and Expedition. None of them have left any impression on me whatsoever.

The Oberon tasted bland and drank more like a corn-lager than a Wheat Ale. The

Two-Hearted tasted barely like a pale ale. No hop bitterness, flavour, or aroma.

The Kalamazoo was the best out of the bunch, but still really didn't do anything spectacular for me. Mediocre at best.

Now the Expedition...wtf? We had this as a blind tasting at a club event this past Saturday. Worst RIS I've ever had. Fusels were ridiculous...tasted like molasses flavoured paint thinner.

I'm done with trying Bell's.

To add one to the list: Sierra Nevada ESB. This somehow got a good rating on BA, but it tastes like piss to me. Not only is it nothing like an ESB, it tastes like Budweiser to me. Maybe it's just me, but this was just plain dissapointing.

PseudoChef said:
I'm bumping this just so I don't start a new thread because it's somewhat along the same lines.

What's all the hype about Bell's?

I've now had 4 beers from them: Oberon, Two-hearted, Kalamazoo, and Expedition. None of them have left any impression on me whatsoever.

The Oberon tasted bland and drank more like a corn-lager than a Wheat Ale. The

Two-Hearted tasted barely like a pale ale. No hop bitterness, flavour, or aroma.

The Kalamazoo was the best out of the bunch, but still really didn't do anything spectacular for me. Mediocre at best.

Now the Expedition...wtf? We had this as a blind tasting at a club event this past Saturday. Worst RIS I've ever had. Fusels were ridiculous...tasted like molasses flavoured paint thinner.

I'm done with trying Bell's.

I wonder if you had weird batches. I'll agree with you on the Oberon---never saw what people were so hyped about there. very bland. The 2-hearted is a standard PA, but nothing to write home about. I can't agree that there's no bitterness, flavor or aroma, though. Kalamazoo is a solid stout---the licorice is nice---but nothing to write home about.

The most perplexing is the Expedition. That's one of my favorites, and I've gotta wonder if you caught a bad batch on that one.

At our holiday office party we had a cooler of beers including Sam Adams, Bud, and Miller Chill. Normally I'd reach for the Sam's first, but curiosity got the better of me and I had to see what this new Miller Chill was all about. Terrible. Salty and awful. I can't even remember the last time I dumped out a beer, but this one was undrinkable. Do people actually drink that piss?

Edit: I realize that Miller is a BMC and so my post is not really appropriate for this thread. But BMCs usually have NO taste, not a BAD taste, so there isn't really a reason to dump one out. Miller Chill is the exception.

Evan! said:
I wonder if you had weird batches. I'll agree with you on the Oberon---never saw what people were so hyped about there. very bland. The 2-hearted is a standard PA, but nothing to write home about. I can't agree that there's no bitterness, flavor or aroma, though. Kalamazoo is a solid stout---the licorice is nice---but nothing to write home about.

The most perplexing is the Expedition. That's one of my favorites, and I've gotta wonder if you caught a bad batch on that one.

I always thought the Two-Hearted was an IPA, since that's how it's listed on BA.

It seems there are bad batches of Expedition floating around though.

Back