Last minute hops and dry hopping (IPA, DIPA, APA beer styles)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlojzFerluga

Reaction score
I have some question about dry hopping details as in my last two recipes there was much less aroma then I was looking for.
1. I read that in last years many brewers (also pros) use most/all of hops as last minute hop addition (with an exception of some bittering hops). There are very few recipe using hops in that way. What is your experience with this technique?
2. There are articles to dry hop for 10-14days for big aroma, on the other hand there is a new trend to dry hop only for 5-6 or even 3-4 days for best aroma. So, how much time is better?
3. There are some DIPA-s that you dry hops twice or even 3 to 4 times. Dry hopping this way - do you put out the first package when you enter second or you can leave that hops there until bottling?
4. Is there some positive effect if you mix the fermentor once or twice per day when dry hopping - so the hops aroma can integrate with the beer better?

Is there any other big secret to get great hop aroma?

1. The majority of your aroma hops can go in at flameout or in a whirlpool for 30m at (180°) I find that 15 10 minute additions offer more flavor than aroma and skipping those times and moving additions soley to flameout make my hoppy beers meh.

2. Current thought process by many assumes most of the aroma is absorbed within 3-4 days of dry hopping.

3. you can do dry hop charges and you may see some varied benefits.

4. Any oxygen exposure will diminish aroma so mixing the fermenter is not likely something you should consider.

1. So, 15/10 minute additions are essential for flavor, flameout is ok for aroma. I don't know about whirlpool hopping - where I can read more about this?

2. Thanx. I will go with 4-5 days.

3. I don't getr this - do I put first charge out when I enter the second or I left the first one there? I am now doing Pliny the bastid with 3 DH schedules.

4. Reasonable - thanx.

1. There are recipes all over the map, I use just hopstand hops for bittering as well. Thinking of hops at certain stages just as bitter, aroma, and flavor is way too simplistic. They all contribute to each.

2/3. I go 3 days, swirl, and in day 4 will cold crash. Been having success doing a dry hop charge right at pitching or 2 days into fermenting too add a new dimension. It's all up to you, there's no exact formula that anyone agrees on.

4. Yeah don't mix. I swirl it around with with the airlock in place to get them to blend in if they are just relaxing on top of the beer.

Back