Last fermentation start question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iv_hokie12

Reaction score
So I brewed a ten gallon batch of Rye Pale Ale a couple of weeks ago, and spit them into two fermenters. (Top half into a plastic bucket, and bottom half in a glass carboy. I also pitched a vile of WLP 001 in each. The next morning I saw some activity in each. No head yet, but clearly the yeast were getting busy and there was some airlock activity. Then I left town for a week. When I came back the termometers were cold so I turned on my heat. The glass carboy had a krausen ring but still had some yeast toward the top. I kinda assumed the same would be true of the plastic bucket even though I didn't open the top. There was very little airlock activity. However after a few hours with head the plastic bucket took off, and had quite a powerful fermentation. Since then I have dry hopped and bottled the glass carboy half, but I only started dry hopping the plastic bucket half today. I am a little worried about the quality of the plastic bucket half though. I'm also curious as to why the fermentation stuck on that one, but not the other. You would also expect the bottom half to be darker and cloudier than the top half, but it is actually the opposite. If anyone has been in a similar situation let me know how it turned out!

Back