LASIK M-F'n Rocks the M-F'n House!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, about 60 hours ago, I was a -10 diopter guy who had to hold newsprint about an inch or so away from my face. Now, I'm sitting here with vision that is almost as good as I had with my contacts or glasses, and it's getting better by the hour.

I should've done this YEARS ago! :ban:

TL

Oh, that's awesome...congrats. :)

The main thing that's holding me back is the fact that I'm kind of squeamish when it comes to my eyes...well, that and the money. ;)

But I've heard so many good things about it, and I'm glad you're enjoying the results.

My wife did the same thing a few years ago and she said it's one of the best things that she's ever done.

At least now you'll be able to read your hydrometer!

I've been wanting lasik for awhile. 10 years ago, my friend's dad flew to Canada and back to have the surgery done for cheaper than having it done here. I haven't looked into it lately, but it would be nice to get me some lasik soon.

My last two glasses prescription in a row, from two different optometrists, have had mistakes that needed to be corrected. What happens when your prescription is wrong with LASIK?

You're prescription isn't "wrong" with LASIK. Nothing against optometrists, but I'm not surprised they got your correction wrong. LASIK is an extremely precise procedure that measures the curvature of your eye and corrects it, compared to an eye chart that determines what you can read at. The success rate of LASIK is extremely high - I had it 6 years ago and I'm still 20/20.

Professor Frink said:
You're prescription isn't "wrong" with LASIK. Nothing against optometrists, but I'm not surprised they got your correction wrong. LASIK is an extremely precise procedure that measures the curvature of your eye and corrects it, compared to an eye chart that determines what you can read at. The success rate of LASIK is extremely high - I had it 6 years ago and I'm still 20/20.

Duh, of course. You're current prescription not only becomes irrelevant, it IS irrelevant.

Fingers said:
Duh, of course. You're current prescription not only becomes irrelevant, it IS irrelevant.

That's not what I was getting at. Your prescription for eyeglasses can be wrong, often times because optometrists measure your ability to read different size font at different distances as a diagnostic tool. LASIK uses a much more precise diagnostic way of determining what the correction is needed for your eyes - they're not going to get it wrong like corrective lenses often do.

And yes, if you get LASIK, you pretty much will need reading glasses.

Professor Frink said:

That's why I never got it done. I just got my first pair of bifocals last week. I see no point in having my vision corrected if I still need glasses to read.

My wife is hellbent on LASIK. She was one of those poor kids who, at 2 years old, had to wear "coke bottles".

She was told that she's never have "good" vision with LASIK but she's quire ready to have LASIK so that she'll be able to pick for the "designer" frame selection.

Not everyone has LASIK to rid themselves of corrective lenses. Some people have it to wide the range of lenses they have available to them.

I had the procedure done last year and would highly recommend it. walked in 20 seconds right eye and 15 seconds on left. Changed my life, best $$ ever spent.

Oh sure it's great, until 10 years later when your eyeballs fall out. Just ask Ned Flanders!

Corrections, if even needed, are free for ten years.

Glasses cannot reshape your eyeball to make astigmatism go away like LASIK. They only band-aid the condition.

I was 20/15 the next day, but yes, seeing good real close up does go away, so at worst, you need glasses when doing close work or reading fine print, but the REST OF THE TIME, you see better than most people ever do WITH corrective lenses. My reading normal print is not affected. And don't most older people need reading glasses, eventually, anyway?

So, the other 98-99% of your life, you are unencumbered by fairly ineffective seeing apparatus.

How much is that worth to you?

I'm not a candidate. :( I hope new technology comes out to fix that. I can't see a beer in front of me without my glasses (good thing I can smell it).

I am very seriously considering this procedure as well, Had all the tests, and I am a good candidate, but it's $2800 per eye to have it done here.... The idea of having to wear reading glasses "later in life" isn't aproblem, I have been wearing glasses for 38 years, every single waking second of every single day since I was 3 years old.

Maybe next year....

EdWort said:
I'm not a candidate. :( I hope new technology comes out to fix that. I can't see a beer in front of me without my glasses (good thing I can smell it).

Me neither. Having lost an eye to glaucoma a few years ago, no LASIK surgeon will even let me in the door.

Professor Frink said:

Lasik doesn't cause a need for reading glasses. As we get older, the lens gets harder and we lose the ability to focus up close where the lens has to flex the most. Lasik only touches the cornea, not the lens.

When I had Lasik done, the doctor told me about a new procedure where the reading glasses problem is corrected. This is done by removing your old crusty lens and replacing it with an artificial one. Then I watched a video of it being done. Sickly 'squirm' causing.

Then I went to the room and had the Lasik procedure. :cross:

Yeah, the whole idea of still wearing reading glasses doesn't bother me at all. In due time, I would need them with my contacts, anyhow, so it was not even a consideration.

Just wearing glasses was not a good option for me. Like I mentioned, I was a -10 diopter prescription. I would, sometimes, actually get mild motion sickness while walking around with my glasses due to the distortion, and I had virtually no useful peripheral vision. The two weeks I had to wear glasses before LASIK were no fun.

Wearing contacts during about every waking moment was becoming less and less an option, too, as I started developing a condition where blood vessels were growing across my cornea. If I wore neither contacts nor glasses, I was legally blind and actually did have to operate as much on memory and feel as vision. Everyone who knows me also knows that they should never, ever touch my glasses, much less move them even a few inches. If I took my contacts out and my glasses were not where I thought they were, I was in some deep kimchi and often needed help to find them.

I got my first pair of glasses when I was five and my first pair of contacts when I was twelve. This is like coming out of a friggin' cave. I never thought I would pay this much money for someone to shoot laser beams at my eyes, but I would do it again without hesitating.

TL

Yeah, the age thing and near-sight loss due to lens becoming stiffer and lens muscle weakening are true for everyone as they age. But LASIK does cause this earlier or to be more pronounced.

They make it abundantly clear that you not may but will need to use glasses for seeing near, so people aren't litigious after the procedure that they thought would eliminate any need of glasses.

It is $4500 for the mechanical-slice type of corneal incision, and another $1500 if the laser is used to cause bubbles just under the surface of the cornea to create the 'flap'.

The cool part was SWMBO's insurance covered the 'basic' type 100%. I have no problems at all with the results.

Back