Larger system upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pehlman17

Reaction score
I’m currently brewing on a 6.5 gallon Anvil Foundry. I’ve recently been wanting to make slightly larger batches. I ferment in corny kegs and want to do 4-4.5 gallon batches. I’m going back and forth between getting myself a larger all in one system or just adding some extra water and DME. If I was to get myself a larger all in one electric system, I’d love to hear some recommendations and experiences from you all! Otherwise, if I’m better off just sticking to adding a couple pounds of DME to my 6.5 gallon setup, let me know. For those of you that have experience with extract/partial-mash, would I just be wasting my money adding a whole new system just to make a couple extra gallons?

I'd say you can probably recover a pretty good portion of your investment by selling the 6.5 and move up to the 10.5. However, it seems that throwing in a pound of DME at the end of the boil would be a decent choice for the extra gallon of capacity. I would max out the basket and sparge to 5.75 gallons preboil and add as little DME as you can get away with to hit your numbers. A slightly more labor intensive method would be to sparge all the way to 6 gallons and then drain off a gallon and boil that on the stove.

Have you tried using a BIAB bag instead of the Foundry malt pipe? You can use a larger grain bill without the pipe.
That’s a really good idea. There’s what, an extra gallon or so of dead space with the pipe in there? I forget too that the foundry is double-walled so it probably holds temp pretty well for an infusion mash.

Latest posts

Back