Larger Replacement Pot? Bayou Classic 3066a

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krane

Reaction score
I have a Bayou Classic 3066a turkey fryer and want to get a replacement pot. I remember being told that 7.5 gallons wasn't enough, and ignored it, and now I've seen the light. I've found a 50qt aluminum one for $55 that I like. My only concern is the turkey fryer has a diameter of 13 inches and the pot is 15.5 inches. Since the pot is bigger than the outer rim (which sits about 1/4 inch higher than where my current pot sits) and the outer rim is extremely thin, I'm wondering if this will warp my pot eventually. My thinking is, a lot of weight being supported by about a millimeter thick piece of metal and heat won't mix well. I hope to do 8 gallon batches to split into my two 5 gallon carboys that don't get used.

So, has anybody replaced the pot on a bayou classic 3066a with a bigger pot without issue/do you have any suggestions?

Have the same issue with a Brinkmann which appears to be just a rebranded 3066a (different stand for the burner, but still only accepts the 13 inch diameter pot)- would be interested to see if anybody's using a bigger kettle, or modified the stand somehow. I Was thinking putting a barbeque grate under the bigger kettle for a little more stability, but not sure that would do anything. Keep us posted.

I have a 60qt pot on mine. The regulator was a little weak for 13+ gallons. The metal over the flame is about shot.

system.jpg

Awesome, I figured it would be fine to do it like that. Yours is SS though...is aluminum more maleable/more at risk for warping?

I think I am going to get it and if it warps the pot I will somehow modify the burner to support the weight. So sick of that 7.5 gallon pot since going all grain. Thanks!

I don't think you can warp the pot unless you torch it up with absolutely nothing in it.

Good to know. Also, not sure how to say this, but I really like the picture of your setup. Something about having the same burner, and seeing how yours looks like it's made more than it's fair share of beer. Hope mine lasts as long as yours. Appreciate all the help, thanks again.

Back