Large space under false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locklearmj

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from an Igloo cooler to a 20 Gallon Concord kettle with a [Jaybird false bottom](http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.c...9fc&ss_parm=Ab0b1a72c8d136e47da331b3b02c7fa6b). The false bottom sits pretty high, with about 1.5-2 gallons below it.

I used it this past weekend for the first time, and had a problem because although I'm recirculating the mash, the amount of liquid that stays below the false bottom makes the mash really thick. I had to continuously adjust the hose inside the tun to ensure the entire mash stayed wet.

Tomorrow I will be doing my 2nd batch on this system. I plan on increasing my mash water from 1.25 to 1.5 qt/lb, so this may help a little, but how else can I adjust my mash in order to fix this?

[Here's](http://i.imgur.com/8FA4YXu.jpg) my Beersmith equipment profile. I have a dip tube, so my actual deadspace is only .5 gal compared to the 2 that stay below the false bottom. Should I increase the deadspace setting to 2 gallons?

Thanks!

I have the same issue. Example that I would use if I have 22 lb of grain and want a 1.4qt/lb. ratio. And have 5qt under the false bottom. 22x1.4 =30.8 qts.+5qt=35.8. I take that and divide it back by my grain weight 35.8/22=1.63qts/lb so that is what I put in for water to grain ratio. Kind of tricking it but it works.

Hope this helps.

Just fill your pot up with the false bottom in it until its right at the false bottom height, pour it out into a bucket or some other measuring device and always add that much water to your mash in volume that your tools give you. If it says to add 5 gallons, i add 7.

I stick with 1.25qt/# and just add that in, atleast in my head this does not really count as making a "thin" mash because that 2 gallons isnt really in contact with the grain...not that it really matters because your recircing the entire time anyways.

Back