Large format bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtandy

Reaction score
So, a 3 liter of Double Bastard just showed up at work, and it has me wondering...anyone ever bottle a barleywine or other strong, age worthy beer in one of these bad boys ( or larger)? I'm thinking of trying to find an empty one cheap to bottle something crazy in and age it for several years....

So then you'll drink 3 liters of barleywine in one sitting? :drunk:

Most people look for smaller bottles for strong beers!

Well, bigger is better for long term, yes? I was thinking for Xmas many years away, or wedding maybe...

Bulk aging vs. bottle aging is a whole other issue, I'm not knowledgable enough to help you! But I think you're right, it should age pretty well if the big bottle can handle the pressure during bottle carbing. I like the idea of cracking it open at a Christmas dinner and sharing with lots of people.

That's what I was picturing. It's a swing top...not sure if it can handle the pressure...hadn't considered that

When I was bottling, I would put some into 750ml Belgian bottles. Cork and cage them too. Especially my higher ABV brews that I was planning to age even longer.

I would opt to use something like a 1L swing-top bottle. Just be sure to check on the seals from time to time. My only concern, with those, is of the gaskets drying out and losing seal.

Personally, I keg entire batches now, bottling as needed (when taking someplace else). That includes high ABV brews. This allows me to age them in bulk form for as long as I wish. I also age [beer] in adapted 25L sanke kegs. Since I seal those up (too) they age very well.

I scored a 1 gallon corny keg... Just need to change the liquid side fitting and it should be good to go. I've already adapted it to use a standard ball lock gas post for the in side.

Back