Large enough starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So I just made my stirplate, (Thanks HBT DIY Forums), because I was tired of shaking the starter, and I like building things.

But back to the question. This is my first lager and I want to do it right. I bought a single vial of WLP820 (Oktoberfest Lager Yeast). I have just made a 1 gallon starter (16 cups of water, 4 cups DME) because all the forums I have read so far say make a large starter for Lagers. Large is somewhat vague... I didn't know if the 1 gallon would be enough to grow the yeast from a 5 gallon to a 10 gallon size as well as have enough for the starter.

So I was wondering if that would be enough for a 10 gallon batch, or should I decant and make another starter. And if the answer is another starter, how big should it be?

I am fermenting the starter at about 55 degrees in a mini fridge with a stir plate. The lid of the pot doesn't have a hole on the top, its just a lid. Will that be ok or do I need foil?

Edit:
Final starter Stats:
OG: 1.047
Vol: 1.3 Gallons

it seems to me, that it may have been cheaper for me to have just ponied up the extra $6.50 instead of using all the DME to try to grow the yeast from one vial.

it seems to me, that it may have been cheaper for me to have just ponied up the extra $6.50 instead of using all the DME to try to grow the yeast from one vial.

Not quite.

For a lager you would need at least 3 vials or more depending on the gravity of the recipe.

A pound of DME costs about $5
So the math to me is starter = about $8-$10
Without the starter = $19.50 - $24

It has also been a day wants I still have no krausen. It's fermenting at 58 degrees, I haven't done lager before so is this normal

The recipe is 1.068 projected OG, a 10 gallon batch

wfowlks said:
It has also been a day wants I still have no krausen. It's fermenting at 58 degrees, I haven't done lager before so is this normal

The recipe is 1.068 projected OG, a 10 gallon batch

Lagers can take awhile to get going if they aren't pitched enough. My first lager took 3 days to start fermenting, and I've seen many threads here with the same results.

Also, don't forget that lagers are bottom fermenters - so it will look different than an ale.

Just wait awhile longer...

jigidyjim said:
Lagers can take awhile to get going if they aren't pitched enough. My first lager took 3 days to start fermenting, and I've seen many threads here with the same results.

Also, don't forget that lagers are bottom fermenters - so it will look different than an ale.

Just wait awhile longer...

Oops - did you mean that your starter has no krausen?

Fwiw - I do my starters at room temp even for lagers.

I did my starter in a 5 gallon stainless pot. I cant see anything other than what happens on top. I didn't know if it would all happen on the bottom.

Back