Large Batches fermentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip82

Reaction score
Well my dad says the year looks like it will be a good year for the wild chokecherries that we have growing on our farm. After he sampled my unfinished wine during racking, he wants some more...a lot more this year. I currently have a 5 gallon carboy and i used 15 lbs of chokecherries for the wine in that carboy. He says we could probably get a couple hundred pounds of chokecherries.

The brings up one main problem, what do i use for primary and secondary fermentation vessels? Should I get a bunch of smaller glass carboys or what could i use for large fermentation vessels? I am looking for any ideas, though the cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance,

Chip

Have seen garbage cans used. I believe there is a food-safe Rubber made version of large trash can that can be used for primary. Might be a bigger issue if you want to bulk-age or store it before bottling, but they are suitable for primary.

You could check with local bakeries, restaurants or Subway for buckets. I purchased 3-5 gal buckets (formerly housing frostings or fillings) for $2 each with lid. Subway ones were usually 5 gal ones w/out lids, but I think we gave $1 each for those. Use those for your primary buckets and then gradually acquire bottles for secondaries. My DH found me some 5 gal water bottles (i've only used one to date), and the one I am using is working ok for bulk aging. One of my daughters helped me mark-off gallon markings on my buckets, making it easier to figure out how much is in each.

I just use 5 gallon and 3 gallon primo water jugs. I pick them up at lowes. Work just fine for me... some people have said something about oxygen penetrating them but I've never noticed a difference. I've got some dissolved oxygen probes at work and I'm going to test to test to what degree they are permeable to oxygen.

http://www.greenerideal.com/images/july8-primo.png

There's a BYO article from a couple years ago about modding Rubbermaid Brute garbage can. They come in sizes up to 30 gallons and are food grade plastic. All they use are some spring clamps, a grommet and an airlock.

Dig it up...it is sweet!

You can have it on wheels, and use clamps to make the lid airtight, then poke a hole and add a grommet for an airlock...

This one...
1607.jpg

All you need is a grommet, keglube, an airlock and a few of these.

43004.jpg

Would a food grade garbage can be alright to use for a secondary? Most people recommend staying away from plastic containers for wine.

Edit: Or that is what it seems people think on here

You could probably find some 15 gal demijohns made of glass for pretty cheap. My grandpa used to have 12 of the big ones for wine making but we gave them away after he passed. Wish I could have a few of them now, I would love to do some cider in them lol.

I do see them on craiglist and kijiji fairly often when I search. I'm talking about these guys:

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/11958308

Still, 15 gal might be smaller than what you want

Edit:
Did some math. 200lbs (roughly) berries / 15lbs(per batch) = about 13 of the 5gal batches
The big demijohns hold 15 gal (3 of your batches) which would mean you would need about 4 of them. That seems pretty doable.

The 15 gallon demijohns might be the way to go. One thing we have been looking at is buying an oak barrel. It does make me somewhat nervous as to how the oak barrel would change the flavor of the wine recipe we use.

You could always do half with the oak and half without. I really don't know enough about wine to actually give you tips on flavour or the effects...

I have processed 292 lbs of blackberries this week. I now have the second batch in 4 plastic trash cans (15 gal in each). I keep them there for 4 or five days stiring daily as I have added yeast once it cooled down from 140 deg to around 75 or 78 deg, then put them in 5, 6, and 7 gal carboys some plastic, but most glass. If you are doing that much wine, treat yourself to a wine pump bought mine for 170.00. It pumps up to three gal a min. Will rack back to trash can, clean out carboys and re-rack within hours...

Hope this helps...

Well that'll have to wait until I get a house with some space. I'm maxed out right now. I already plan to make sure my next place has a basement which will become my wine-dungeon. :)

Back