Laptops and brewing. A great combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Well since I'm getting close to 100 posts and senior member status I guess you all will be hearing alot from me. I decided that the laptop is by far the greatest asset to brewing. How else could I be sitting here outside, propane tank at the ready, homebrew next to me, ZZtop blasting, and chatting with all of you. Might even get a little tan if I try hard.

It's nice for putting together recipes. It'll estimate your IBU's, SRM, OG, etc. It also has calculators for calculating boiloff, hydrometer adjustments, etc. I think you could put it to good use, even doing extracts. It's got all manner of malt extracts pre loaded.

I have not yet ventured into AG yet, and am only brewing with extract. However, I downloaded Promash just because its a great program. Lots of fun to work with and play around with. I have been putting together all sorts of recipes, and some AG that I want to do (eventually).

The real reason I got it is becasue of the database web platform project I mentioned a coupel weeks ago. I am planning on building my own recipe database to keep track of my own brews and notes etc.

homebrewer_99 said:
I usually build my recipe and edit the notes then cut and paste the results into WORD.DOC.

After the calculations are made I can edit the narrative section at will.
Do you take notes while you're brewing, or after the fact? I'm asking because in other threads you mention keeping a lot of detail, and I'm wondering how much it slows you down.

Downloaded Promash's evaluation copy. Playing around a little but not much so far. Like the link HB99 gave for now. I can imput the recipes I havee and then tweek them in the calculator. Will be cool when I decide to a see what all my left over ingredients will give me. :p

Man, that's high-tech ! I've just got a notebook and pencil. I might make a note or two while I brew, a few more when I test and taste. Helps me keep up with the dates and such. Guess I've just got a more primative approach.

Back