Landowners in PA, NY, WV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
If you have been approached to lease your mineral rights...DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING until you become informed. There is an excellent site up:

here.

If you haven't been reading the news, the "Marcellus Shale" is potentially a Super Giant gas field. Many landowners have been basically giving away their rights for a pittance because they are uninformed.

I normally try not to redirect people from a website to another (aside from news clips) but I think in this case it is VERY important that you gain some knowledge on the subject before entering into any agreement.

That's an assumption...chances are your Gov't has put a gag order on your local news stations so no one is informed about what they are DOING TO YOU...at the direct order of big business no doubt. ;):mad:

It's been in some papers, but not before it was too late for many uniformed citizens. :(. I am still amazed that people just sign things without consulting a lawyer or someone with expertise in a given field. The really sad part about it is that in some of these back-woods areas of PA, there are a lot of trusting old folk that take people at face value. Some of the people approaching them are the most influential snake oil salesmen you've ever seen.

They were all over the southern tier of NY last year. We could here them drilling up the road from some property we own. My uncle signed something with them, we refused.

The exercise of eminent domain is not limited to real property. Governments may also condemn personal property, such as supplies for the military in wartime, franchises, as well as intangible property such as contracts, patents, trade secrets, and copyrights.

Pretty scary.:(

My name is daniel plainview, and this is my son and partner h.w. plainview. I am an oil man and if i have a long straw that reaches acroooooooos the room and starts drinking your milkshaek. I drink your milshake, Shhhhhlurp! I drink it up!

They were all over the southern tier of NY last year. We could here them drilling up the road from some property we own. My uncle signed something with them, we refused.

Where in the souther tier was this?

Well I've never heard of this! Of course, I'm not exactly in your neck of the woods.

It's kind of crazy. The experts are estimating that the recoverable amount of natural gas from the Marcellus Shale to be roughly 50 trillion cubic feet. The scary part (at least to me) was that is a 2 (two) year supply for the US. So if they discovered this Super Giant Gas field that's good for 2 years, uhm...that means a helluva lot of drilling in other places. The thing is like more than half the state of PA and stretches into NY and WV.

I am curious as to the long term effects to the PA economy as well. Many of these landowners will become millionaires. Kind of like Jedd Clampett. :D

The reports from a geology prof in PSU (along with another prof from another school) were released in January 08'. Since then, major gas companies have been sweeping these 3 states (some already had production going on) leasing up hundreds of thousands of acres. This is why they are calling it a 'Natural Gas "Rush"'.

The short answer to this is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._New_London

You don't own your house, and land or even your vehicle. The government can
take it anytime they want.

Not to shift the focus of this thread but I have to agree. You could have land that's been in your family for generations... stop paying your rent (taxes) and you'll quickly find out who really owns it.

Back