Lambic Specific Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSappenf

Reaction score
So I have dabbled in brewing using other people's equipment. I finally have a job where I can afford the equipment and a house that I can store my brews. My favorite beers are lambics and it was my motivation for buying my own brew kit. So naturally my first recipe I tried was a Lambic....

So I did a partial mash with a recipe I found, boiled it with some hops, put it in a glass carboy with a can of pitted tart cherries, and added the wild yeast concoction they sold at the brew shop. I was looking up specific gravities of beer and saw that mine was high for a lambic. Mine was 1.034 at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this ok?

Also does anyone have a good simple lamic recipe I should try?

34 points is very low for any kind of beer. Especially for an extract where the FG will probably be higher than an all grain batch. It will give you a beer with less than 4% ABV. Maybe you took a bad reading, did not add enough LME or DME or put in too much water!

There is a lot of recipe here on the website. You should go check it out. Some of them are really amazing. I would not suggest doing the first brew of the style you like because you might be disappointed. It takes about 3-4 batch before you understand well how to do every step.

Back