Lambic blending experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blueberry juice bomb:

2hnc5fs.jpg

28woy0o.jpg

How difficult is it to get a bunch of lambic from those brewers? I've been wanting to try something like this for a while, can I just drive to one of the brewers and have them fill a fermenter for a fee?

Basically, yes. But all they're selling is young lambic. I think Girardin is the only brewery who sells 2yo lambic bag in box. So you could drive down to, let's say, De Troch, get your 30L fermenter filled, throw a bunch of fruit on it. Not a huge fan of aging fruit on young lambic though

This is such a great thread. Keep up the good work. I've often wondered about buying a girardin bag in box and using it to blend with my homebrew (is that cheating??). I wish some of the local breweries around here could do something similar.

This is such a great thread. Keep up the good work. I've often wondered about buying a girardin bag in box and using it to blend with my homebrew (is that cheating??). I wish some of the local breweries around here could do something similar.
BrandoSF What if we bought some lambic in a box and blended in some homebrew? Great future project idea?

BrandoSF What if we bought some lambic in a box and blended in some homebrew? Great future project idea?
Pneill316 has done this with pretty great success!

Pneill316 has done this with pretty great success!
Yeah I was buying both the girardins and Oud Beersel and using my fo-lambic to add to the blend and help me get that blend carbonation. Been out of the game as my spots to get lambics-in-a-box have dried up and I haven't brewed in over a year due to a life inconvience.

Well you guys got me thinking of the good old days. We need to make lambic fun again! I love what you are doing over there koplamp.
Cheers! Here's one of mine.
image.jpg

My Cloudberry lambic, and yes there are some cloudberries floating around in there. It was the last bottled filled and I was getting it all ZFG!

This has to be about 5-6 years old now and has held up great. Still so much cloudberries on the nose. God damn! I need to get back in the game and remake this thing!

Thanks all. We recently had some pretty good comments, especially on the raspberry & blueberry blends. Which inspired us to make a new/bigger blend of Framboos.

jhtvfp.jpg

wc08ic.jpg

2k4rc.jpg

We will be getting some local grapes to blend anytime soon, so that will be happening too.

Thanks again for all the kind words/comments!

Cheers

Well you guys got me thinking of the good old days. We need to make lambic fun again! I love what you are doing over there koplamp.
Cheers! Here's one of mine.
image.jpg

My Cloudberry lambic, and yes there are some cloudberries floating around in there. It was the last bottled filled and I was getting it all ZFG!

This has to be about 5-6 years old now and has held up great. Still so much cloudberries on the nose. God damn! I need to get back in the game and remake this thing!

That looks great man. Although I have no clue what cloudberries are. You should definitely pick up where you left! (And possibly send me some cloudberries!)

320€ to poison your beer with a mediocre and horribly overpriced bourbon? That should be a hard pass for anyone.

Garrison Brothers is both overpriced and mediocre, I agree. But good luck finding any other freshly emptied bourbon barrels in Europe that are 50L.

320€ for a used 50L barrel should be a pass anywhere, anytime. Unless it's a good cognac barrel
50L Cognac barrels? Where?! Does that really exist?

Sadly this is the cheapest available in Europe, only ones I know with 50L previously used barrels available is this one and Mackmyra (which is around €400).

Tokaj barrels would be excellent and they are 140L, sometimes 100L.

Also some bourgogne wines use 110-114L barrels, called Feuillette.

Last edited:
Absolutely fantastic thread! Any recent updates? Also anyone besides the OP doing any blending? Lambic/methode gueuze or otherwise like biere de coupage?

Absolutely fantastic thread! Any recent updates? Also anyone besides the OP doing any blending? Lambic/methode gueuze or otherwise like biere de coupage?

Yeah, we've made a bigger batch of framboise, 40'ish bottles. And a bigger batch of blueberry lambic which is still fermenting.

I'm currently taking a brewing class at Alvinne brewery, and bought some used Bordeaux barrels. Hope we can fill them up sometime soon.

Back