Lalvin D47 — Will I need to re-pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de5m0mike

Reaction score
I have a cider that I think is tasting pretty good after about a month, but its still pretty cloudy. I was thinking of putting it in my mini fridge for a week to crash cool all the sediment out. Come to think of it, does that even work on sediment, or just yeast? Anyway, I want to carbonate this batch by priming with some honey but was wondering if I will need to re-pitch some yeast or if enough will hang around to do the job.

D47 is a wine yeast, not an ale yeast. I'm not sure how well it will cold crash. Cold crashing is to get the yeast to go dormant and settle; I don't think it will have any effect on sediment or on pectin haze.

If you have fermented the cider to dryness, I don't see any reason to cold crash. Just rack it off the lees. There should still be enough yeast suspended in the cider to ferment your priming sugar.

I liked the dry cider that D47 made, but it took a few months for mine to settle down to a taste that I liked.

Back