Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidLunch5211

Reaction score
Question? I am still a beginner but have brewed many Ales. I just brewed my first lager and have it in a fridge set to 50 degrees. Usually I have a huge fermentation process with ales i.e.. a lot of bubbling and blow off. This lager is not doing much at all in fact it looks as though it has a negative pressure, like the top is being sucked in. Is this a normal activity for lager fermentation? Any info would be appreciated. FYI I am using yeast that was in my fridge for a few months, I don't know if this is the issue...
Thanks

What kind of yeast and how much did you pitch. They will take longer to get going and take a good 10 days + to finish active fermentation. If you are worried pop the top and check for activity.

It was Munich Lager Yeast with activator. It has only been about 30 hours, but with Ales I notice activity around this time.

Slow fermentation on lagers is very common. I doubt you have anything to worry about so long as your pitching rate was in the ballpark.

Because of the lower temps for lagers the yeast can seem almost sluggish to the point of stalled. You should start seeing some activity soon with a nice sulfur smell emanating throughout the fridge. After your terminal gravity has been reached you should be set to gradually raise the temp in the fridge for your diacytal/accyd rest.

If you go by Mrmalty.com you way underpitched. You can wait it out for a few days and see where you are at or some like to warm it up till you see activity then drop it back down to 50.

Really???? Thats what the recipe called for but I did notice the yeast had not swollen as much as my others. Should I add 2 more of the Munich with activator?
Thanks again

Lagers need TONS of yeast. Any recipe that asked for just one smack pack is plain wrong- you're asking for diacetyl and all sorts of other off flavors- or you misread it and didn't realize you needed to make a huge starter for your lager. I would pitch more ASAP.

You definitely underpitched, BUT, your best bet at this point it to leave it to avoid risking contamination. It will ferment, and you may get some esters, but I personally would not pitch more yeast.

In the future, a big start would be ideal. I don't follow Mr. Malty because I haven't found those ridiculous numbers to be necessary, but somewhere around 3-4 liters is about right for most lagers.

If you're not making a starter, you must pitch lager yeast warm (i.e., 70-75 degrees). As soon as you see krausen, drop your temperature.

But you should always make a starter for lager yeast.

Latest posts

Back