Lagers: how fast is too fast (2308 fermentation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre3000

Reaction score
I was inspired to attempt my first lager after enjoying a few German varieties recently.

I went with Jamil's Oktoberfest and I figured I'd attempt the fast lager method outlined on the Brulosophy website (originally discovered by Mike “Tasty” McDole).

OG at 1.055, I pitched a very healthy starter at 48 F at day 0.

Day 1: Obvious fermentation activity, 48 F
Day 2: 1.035, 48F
Day 3: 1.032, 48F, I decided this was at the 50% of expected attenuation so I turned the chamber off and cracked the lid.
Day 4: ?.??? It had risen to 60F
Day 5: 1.016, 65F

This is now 70% attenuated which is getting into finished territory at 70-74% for this yeast. I've heard 2308 is a beast but I mean at five days this doesn't seem that much slower than ale ferments! I also did not detect any diacetyl when I tasted the samples on days 2 and 3 so I'm kind of regretting my aggressive ramp up; I should have let it ferment out a bit lower before rising or not at all.

Could I have negatively affected it (esters?) by ramping it up so rapidly and prematurely?

I suppose if I wanted a fast lager, I sure got one lol.

Last edited:
Ya it's probably pretty close to done. I can usually get lagers to ferment out in 5-8 days just holding them at 48-50F. If you pitch enough healthy yeast, it shouldn't take any longer than an ale.

Edit: by enough healthy yeast, I mean I'm pitching 8-10L starters into 10 gallon batches.

Ya it's probably pretty close to done. I can usually get lagers to ferment out in 5-8 days just holding them at 48-50F. If you pitch enough healthy yeast, it shouldn't take any longer than an ale.

Edit: by enough healthy yeast, I mean I'm pitching 8-10L starters into 10 gallon batches.

I know it's close to done but do you think there will be any undesirable flavors from the method I used?

Probably nothing major. Should taste fine. I’ve never used 2308 with the fast method, so I don’t know how it likes it, but I doubt it will cause any problems.

I’ve gotten away from the fast lager method myself, because I haven’t been needing a D-rest.

You probably won’t end up with any negative esters but you do end up blowing off a lot of the delicate flavors and aromas from the malt. If you pitch enough yeast and add enough O2 you don’t need to ramp or do a diacetyl rest. It might take a little longer but you’ll end up with more flavorful beer once you get it right. You can make lagers clean and quick with a ram they just end up rather lifeless.

Latest posts

Back