Lagering Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marconlin

Reaction score
So I am gearing up the nerve to do my first Lager beer. I believe I'll be able to hit the fermentation temp just fine. I am concerned with the lagering though. the temps in my garage have been in the low 50's, and it seems this will not change. I mean it's only going to get colder. But as far as lagering is concerned I am no where near the low 30's recommended for lagering beer.

My plan is to simply ferment, D rest, then rack and "lager" in the same ambient temp I fermented in. I have a feeling this should work, but I am curious if anyone else has done this before.

I am shooting for a gravity 1.055 and will be using Bohemian Lager yeast. Extracts with specialty grains. Nothing crazy hop wise.

I really would like to know what to expect.

I think that this is not a good idea. good lagering requires temps in the 30's. Can you stick it in a fridge or keezer just to get in into the 30's? Even below normal fridge temp is better.

So I am gearing up the nerve to do my first Lager beer. I believe I'll be able to hit the fermentation temp just fine. I am concerned with the lagering though. the temps in my garage have been in the low 50's, and it seems this will not change. I mean it's only going to get colder. But as far as lagering is concerned I am no where near the low 30's recommended for lagering beer.

My plan is to simply ferment, D rest, then rack and "lager" in the same ambient temp I fermented in. I have a feeling this should work, but I am curious if anyone else has done this before.

I am shooting for a gravity 1.055 and will be using Bohemian Lager yeast. Extracts with specialty grains. Nothing crazy hop wise.

I really would like to know what to expect.

Yep, I was just considering the same thing. I can get ferm temps at 53*...but it's the 40* lagering temp I will have problems with as I don't have a fridge dedicated to brewing.
I am thinking about waiting another month. Then after I rack into the secondary, keeping it in a cooler filled with ice water. I think the ice would last for a good week in those temps. So changing the ice out should be minimized for the 4 week lagering period.

I'm looking at brewing on Thanksgiving weekend, then fermenting for a few weeks. I am more concerned for the fermentation temp than I am for the lagering temp. By mid to late December ambient temps should be in the forties, if not lower. Plus temps through January and February will get lower.

I'm not an expert on lagers, but I have been reasonably successful fermenting them in the garage during winter. If you pitch at 45-50 and then wrap your fermenter in a blanket, the yeast metabolism adds enough heat to keep the beer from getting too cold. But you definitely want to do a discreetly rest if you use this technique.

Back