Lagering Nottingham Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorklord

Reaction score
So, based on the fact that I didn't have any good form of temperature control, I decided to try using Nottingham at the low end of its range to make something lager-ish.

That's been going for 4 weeks now, and I was thinking about bottling it, but I just became the proud owner of a mini fridge, and I was wondering if I should rack this beer to a carboy and lager it for a couple weeks in the mini fridge. Will this work, or will it knock out all the yeast and take forever to carbonate?

Also, when I do bottle this stuff, what temperature should I let it sit at to carbonate? 57 or so, like it fermented at, or a nice 70 degree room?

If you're worried about carbonation, you can always just bottle it, ad lager in the bottle after a week or so at room temp.

What temp was it at? If you took an ale yeast below it's dormancy temp, all you did was put the yeast to sleep and not even possibly ferment the beer/

As to whether or not there's enough yeast after lagering a beer, there's normally billions upon billions of yeast in a beer, so unless you filtered it to the point of stripping it of all flavor there's still plenty of yeast to do the job.

Fermentation was in the high 50s, thought my basement has started to warm up over the last few days.

I was just unsure if I would put too much of the Nottingham to sleep if I put in a < 40 F fridge, (resulting in most of the yeast settling out and thus not getting transferred to my bottling bucket) and then be in for an extremely long carbonation time (as I had with my Tripel and Double).

I guess it brings up another question: with Nottingham, will I get any significant benefit from lagering, or will so much of the yeast go inactive in the cold that it won't have a real effect?

Back