Lagering for Dad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightwingnut

Reaction score
Trying to get my girlfriend's dad interested in some of my brew. He's a Coors/Bud guy; doesn't like the good stuff. I want to find a recipe that he'd like, as well as I. He offered me a full-sized fridge (there are two in the garage collecting dust), so I figured I'd try my hand at a lager. My Morebeer shipment should arrive soon, so a quick trip to the welder's and I'm ready for all-grain. Any tricks I should know about before I jump into lagering? Any recipes that could accommodate both of our tastes? In the meantime, maybe I'll try a Steam clone...do you think he'd go for that?

LOL! He tried the porter just a minute ago! No, sir, he didn't like it! Didn't like the bitterness at all. Some folks are just hopelessly lost in a depressing, black world devoid of the glory of good beer.

rightwingnut said:
LOL! He tried the porter just a minute ago! No, sir, he didn't like it! Didn't like the bitterness at all. Some folks are just hopelessly lost in a depressing, black world devoid of the glory of good beer.
You don't need to make him a lager, perse, try a Cream Ale ..

My parents are coming to visit in 3 weeks and they wanted me to make them a beer. My parents are much like yours and don’t like the good stuff. I picked up the recipe from morebeer.com for a no taste no flavor beer. link When I made it all I wanted to do is add more hops, malt or something, but I restrained myself.
They will try in on the 22nd, hopefully it is a crappy beer and they like it.

crum said:
My parents are coming to visit in 3 weeks and they wanted me to make them a beer. My parents are much like yours and don’t like the good stuff. I picked up the recipe from morebeer.com for a no taste no flavor beer. link When I made it all I wanted to do is add more hops, malt or something, but I restrained myself.
They will try in on the 22nd, hopefully it is a crappy beer and they like it.

Well, it least it only cost $16 :D

Ahh, yes...rice extract! Thanks for the link! Although I would like to find something we both can enjoy...it'd be great to get something he'd like!

I was going to recommend watering down a batch (add a gal of water) to see if he likes it. Don't forget to up the hops and carbonation level. If it's too far from what he's used to then he'll always stay with the commercial crap.

Remember, (American) Bud is made with rice/barley and Miller with corn/barley.

If you are using too much barley for his tastes then you need to use some rice solids (powder malt).

Rice, largely...also corn...both of which contribute next to no flavor...just sugar that becomes alcohol.

The base malt would be 6-row barley malt.

Why waste time brewing bad beer when you can brew yourself something tasty and keep some Coors in the fridge for your Girlfriend's Dad?

Even better: get a case of Bud, soak the full bottles and get the labels off. Tell them you got some Bud overrun caps from your HBS because this is your Budweizer-Style beer.

"now that's a good beer! nice work!"

Fun thread,
I have a "Lite" made with the Rice syrup solids in secondary right now.. should bottle it this coming weekend... Probably will be exactly what the little lady wants... flavorless, and simple.

Back