Lagering cooler or more consistent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Failing_Ales

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed an all-grain pils a couple weeks ago and am hoping for some guidance on whether it would be preferable to condition it in the basement where it has been keeping the wort at fairly consistently 45-50 degrees or to put carboys in ice water to try to get condition temperatures down further (but which will most likely result in more overall temperature fluctuation during conditioning). I am not going to buy a fridge or build a chamber for this round, so should I condition at a more or less stable 45 degrees, or should I use ice water to get it cooler?

I would go the ice water route. If you aren't keen on buying bags of ice every few days, you could make your own ice with 2L bottles and swap them in and out of your freezer. YMMV.

I would go the ice water route. If you aren't keen on buying bags of ice every few days, you could make your own ice with 2L bottles and swap them in and out of your freezer. YMMV.

yes, I did this to keep my temps under control during the summer when the house was near 78 degrees and I needed 50 degree fermentation temps. just replaced the bottles before work and then after. So easy and simple, even a caveman can do it (although he probably doesn't need to...:drunk:)

Thanks for the advice! I'll be racking to secondary this weekend and will go the ice bath route. Much appreciated.

Back