Lagering an ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
What happens if you do a prolonged cool or cold secondary with ale yeast? Anything good? I like using ale yeasts to get a nice full draught-style lager out of bottles. But I haven't tried lagering them proper, and I wonder if I should?

At real lagering temps I wouldn't expect your yeast to be very active. I get some bubbles out of the carboys sitting in my 10c closet. I don't know whether the flavors are improved due to the yeast activity or just the aging of hte beer... maybe it is doing nothing.

Koelsh style ales are lagered (secondary) near freezing to give them their lager-like smothness.

Kai

it can only help an ale to cold condition in the secondary. as BeeGee pointed out, it's helps clarity and i belive it helps the flavor. i always crash my ales to 32 once i rack to secondary. let 'em sit for a week or so,then keg. many micro's do this w/ the ale's too (Real Ale Brewing Co. is one).

Cool. No pun intended.
I just built a lager box and it's sitting at 55 degrees. So I think I'll drop an ale in there for now!

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was wanting to know how long do you lager the ale prior to kegging or bottling? I have a cream ale style beer that has been cold crashed for 5 days. I want to serve this at a party in 2 months. I am trying to make a BMC style beer for non-homebrew drinkers. I have 2 options:

Let the ale stay at cold crashing condition temps for 4 weeks and then transfer to a keg and lager it for 4 weeks or

Rack the beer into a keg now and lager it for 8 weeks.

The beer is in a plastic fermenting bucket (primary fermentor). I don't have any secondary containers free that I can transfer this beer into.

Back