Lagering a Bock at 55 for a few weeks after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I ordered an stc 1000 and I want to brew a traditional bock lager
Here is my question. I want to brew the beer, follow the lager fermentation schedule, and once I rack the beer after primary I want to brew a doppelbock and just pitch it on the yeast cake.

I have a spare fridge ill be using, and it can hold two carboys. I will need ti let the dopplebock ferment at the 50 degree range for a couple weeks before doing a d rest and then lagering. The bock would be in the same fridge, so would there be any concern leaving the bock at the fermentation temp a few weeks while the dopplebock ferments, then dropping the temp and lagering them both? Ill most likely rack the bock to a keg after a few weeks and let it continue to lager while the dopplebock is lagering.

I don't think that you're going to cause yourself any problems with that plan.

+1 on your idea to do the bock first and then use the cake for the doppel. I'd much rather do that than try to make the huge lager starter needed a high grav lager the doppel. If the grav is high enough, you may be fine pitching on the whole cake. Tip - rig a blow-off tube. Days 2-s of that ferment may be rather vigorous.

Ok thanks guys. I figured letting it sit at that temp wouldn't do much harm, but I had to ask.

Only problem is finding the patience to tie up both of my 6g carboys for the couple months they'll be occupied. I think I need to brew up a couple quick turnaround ales ASAP.

Back