Lagering a beer takes 6 months?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderDogs

Reaction score
Cutting to the chase I'm not a beginner but I thought I would put it in the beginner forum so everyone can see.

I was going to brew my first Lager and after reading this HomeBrewTalk article I'm a little confused. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Racking

Why would it take 6 months to Lager a beer. From my understanding you use all the ingredients (malt, yeast, etc...) and then basically ice it to the temp and keep it chilled to make the Lager.

Why does it say to do it for 6 months? Shouldn't you basically ferment it at this temp and when it's done fermenting you are done?

Cutting to the chase I'm not a beginner but I thought I would put it in the beginner forum so everyone can see.

I was going to brew my first Lager and after reading this HomeBrewTalk article I'm a little confused. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Racking

Why would it take 6 months to Lager a beer. From my understanding you use all the ingredients (malt, yeast, etc...) and then basically ice it to the temp and keep it chilled to make the Lager.

Why does it say to do it for 6 months? Shouldn't you basically ferment it at this temp and when it's done fermenting you are done?

It says UP to six months, not that six months is necessarily required for all lagers. As or the "ferment and then you're done", no. Lagers typically ferment in the low to mid 50s, but the lagering phase (which is where you clarify and cold age the beer) happens at colder temps.

Well, when making a lager, there are two or three distinct phases. There's primary fermentation, which does take place at a cooler temperature than typical for ales. Then many lagers get a couple days of diacetyl rest at the tail end of primary fermentation - basically, still primary fermentation, but at closer to ale temps to clean up a specific by product common in lager fermentation. This all typically goes a little more slowly than ale fermentation, but not a ton slower. After primary is done, you rack and then drop the temp down to lagering temperature - lagering is the cold aging of beer after it has already been fermented. The higher the gravity of the beer, the longer you should lager it. I did a bock, for instance, that had an OG around 1.068, and it was a still a little rough lagered only a month and a half, but after two or two and a half it hit its sweet spot. Six is a little excessive for most beers.

The longer you lager it, the better it will get- clearer, cleaner, more delicious. You can also lager "in bottle" try some young, try some older, see how it evolves.

Aging ales is also fun, amazing how much they can improve.

7 to 12 days at 33 - 34 degrees for each 1.008 OG. Noonan p. 194. I have a schwartzbier that had 1.050 OG. That would be lager at 42 to 72 days. I will split difference at two months.

Back