Lager yeast at room temperarures (SafLager 34/70)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalanotte

Reaction score
I spent my brewing past avoiding lagers because the lack of space and temp control for a proper lager fermentation. Had good success with Kolsch yeasts as the go to for my Mocktoberfest. Based on a conversation and a bit or reading I gave SafLager 34/70 a try in a true Oktoberfest recently at low ale temperatures. Fermented between 61-64 deg for 10 days, fully attenuated and actually cleared pretty well. Awful DMS smell around day 2-3 but cleaned up by the end of day 5. Bottled some and kegged the rest. Opened a bottle 20 days after brew day and was pleasantly surprised with a very clean tasting non-lagered lager. Worth a try for anyone else that has been resistant to try lager yeasts without the traditional process control.

Are there other lager strains that people have had success with at warmer temperatures.

I just got some 34/70 delivered by my flhbs this afternoon and plan to do my first lager (a Munich dunkel) with it following the same strategy. Glad to hear you were happy with your results!

I've thought about trying 34/70 in an IPA and see how it turns out. I used it in an Octoberfest that fermented at room temp (64F) and I thought it was alright.

I try W-34/70 on 26'C and beer had overstated esters.
I threw that beer in sewer. I would not recommend.

I tried to repeat this experiment
Did you have temperature control during the fermentation? There some suggestions out there that a steady fermentation temperature is important, not just the temperature itself.

So you didn't repeat that experiment.
If you started the fermentation at 26 degrees, it might have got as high as 30 degrees, and perhaps swinging up and down.
That might explain your result.

I have no temperature control. The fermentation took place in the summer at about 26'C during the day and about 22'C at night. Without cold crash.

I have no temperature control. The fermentation took place in the summer at about 26'C during the day and about 22'C at night. Without cold crash.
Yeah, no wonder it didn't turn out good.

I've thought about trying 34/70 in an IPA and see how it turns out. I used it in an Octoberfest that fermented at room temp (64F) and I thought it was alright.

I did an IPA with Mandarina Bavaria and cascade on 34/70. It smelled incredible, but it tasted grassy.

I can't say definitively that it was the yeast, but I will avoid in the future.

Back