Lager Temps too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weez

Reaction score
I began primary fermentation of my lager Sunday night. I realized yesterday that the temp in my refrig was 40. I took it out and it is now up to 54. However it has been sitting at 54 for 12 hours and there is no activity in the airlock. Is this batch shot?

Without a big starter, lagers take much longer to get started than ales. What was the pitching temperature? I usually make a bit starter for lagers, then refrigerate it, and decant the spent wort before pitching at 50 degrees.

I guess I'm thinking that if you pitched it at 50, then put it in the fridge at 40, then took it out and let it warm up to 54, that it probably shocked the yeast a little bit.

I think it will still be ok, once the temperature settles into a good range, and the yeast reproduces and starts fermentation. It would be best at 50 degrees, but up to 55 would be ok.

I cooled the wort to 70 and pitched. Then immediately placed in the refrigerator which turned out to be 40. I think i can stablize it at 55ish...

Back