Lager Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasteeler

Reaction score
Just got back from LHBS and bought stuff to make starters, 1000 ml flask and some light DME. I have a Munich Helles kit from Brewers Best, wanted to try a starter, as my last Helles didn't turn out so good. One question, does the starter have to be kept at 50° also or just room temp? And should I let if go just the one day or ferment out completely? I don't have a stirplate yet, next on the shopping list.Thanks for all the help.

You can ferment at normal ale temps, upper 60s. That is what I do. I find if you are going to decant, it is better to let it ferment out. The yeast fall out faster. This is more important when using a stir plate, due to the oxydation of the wort, and not wanting that going in your beer.

I make my lager starters a few days in advance depending on the size at room temperature then cold crash a day before brew day, then take it out and decant most of the liquid and let it warm slightly to pitching temp when wort is around the same temp.

Now that I think about it, you should probably decant no matter what if doing a lager at ale temps. You don't want the off flavors messing up the balance especially in a lighter lager.

That flask will maybe let you do 800ml, which as big as most of us like to go for a lager. If you have a gallon growler or something sanitizable, you could do your 800ml, then the next day throw that into 2000ml of fresh, chilled, aerated wort and give that a couple of days to flocc, decant and pitch that. That's still only about half as big as I usually go, but much better than what you're looking at now. Room temps are fine, and you can mitigate the lack of stirplate by just keeping it handy and swirling it a million times as you think about it.
Good luck! Helles is a great style. Hope it turns out this time.

Thanks for all the info. I'm in no hurry to brew, I have three cases plus a keg in the fridge. That and the swmbo keeps a tight reign on my drinking. I just want to do it right and have it turn out better than my last attempt.

If you arent in a rush, I would pickup a stir plate and a bigger starter container. I use 1 gallon jugs, because they are cheap. Here is a link for a good cheap stir plate. I bought mine from there. http://www.stirstarters.com/

Latest posts

Back