Lager Process & Priming in Secondary - Reducing Carb Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatomalo

Reaction score
So I've got a Dortmunder in the primary fermenting away in the chamber. I just scored a Golden Gate Keg, and plan to use that as a secondary fermenter. Ultimately I plan to bottle my first lager. Looking at the various techniques around here, is it possible to achieve carbonation by priming while also lagering?

My anticipated process will be:
1. ferment to ~80% attenuation
2. d-rest at 60F
3. rack to GG keg to lager for 4 wks at 32F
4. bulk prime and bottle for min 1 wk (after a wk in the bottle i get eager to enjoy the fruits of my labor...)

As browsing the posts here, I came across this post...

You can lager in keg if you like, they work just like secondaries, carbonate it at same time, this way when its done its ready to drink immediately!

I'm assuming "carbonate" in the post above is referring to force carbing with CO2, which I won't be doing.

If I simply plug all of the ports on the GG keg (i.e. turning it into a giant bottle), can I prime and lager at 32F? My hope is that after 4 wks of lagering I can skip bottle carbing/conditioning and go straight to drinkin :rockin:

Back