Lager not done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
I haven't brewed many lagers (this was my first decoction) and was about to bottle this weekend until I took hydrometer readings approaching 1.03. This was a Vienna lager with OG of 1.05, using Saflager S-23, and four weeks of fermenting at ~50F. I recall saccrification may have been on the high side at around 157-158F. Just need more time here? How many weeks is typical for this yeast?

With that high of a mash, you might not get it down past 1.020. Is the airlock still bubbling at a reasonable rate? I see 50F at a little bit on the low side. I shoot for 55-57F for this yeast. May warm it up a few degrees and see if activity increases. My Vienna with the same yeast finished up in about 10 days at 56F.

No bubbling. Tasted great by the way. Not "sweet" as I'd expect from 1.028-ish...

I moved it to a place that should get a few degrees warmer. I would think it would be done after 4 weeks so I'm inclined to bottle next weekend.

Hopefully no issue from covering my santized bottles with foil or in a rubbermaid container with a lid. I'd hate to have to sanitize again.

Back