Lager Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iberwolf

Reaction score
Hello guys!
I'm trying to make a Lager beer, but I'm struggling to pick the hops ...
I intend to make a Lager with good aroma, flavor and Hoppy.
Malts I will use will be:
-Pils;
-Melanoid;
-Carapils pils.
At home I have to Saaz and Hersbrucker may use, but rather know one your opinion before deciding.
Thanks in advance.

Saaz and Hersbrucker are both excellent choices, you cant go wrong with them. If you want it to taste like a czech lager use the saaz, Most czech beers use that hop. Other classics are Hallertau Mittlefrau and Tettnang.

(If you live in America and want to use domestic hops Liberty, Sterling, Santiam, and Crystal are good choices.)

Yep. Either one or both of those will get you classic continental hop flavor in your beer.

I fine that "traditional" hopping schedules with 100% noble hops work great with these types, by the way. I would do an ounce at 60, 30 and 15 for a pils; no whirlpool hops. The aromatics of noble hops seem to have much better stability at boiling than American ones. (Chemically, this makes sense as the "American" character comes from the most volatile hop oil.)

Yep. Either one or both of those will get you classic continental hop flavor in your beer.

I fine that "traditional" hopping schedules with 100% noble hops work great with these types, by the way. I would do an ounce at 60, 30 and 15 for a pils; no whirlpool hops. The aromatics of noble hops seem to have much better stability at boiling than American ones. (Chemically, this makes sense as the "American" character comes from the most volatile hop oil.)

Hello, Philosofool thanks for the reply! I'm in search of a Lager with flavors and aromas that can about getting out of beer, but at the same time with the malty, ie a well-balanced Lager type one "IPA Saison" (I know that the styles are different, but it was just to give you an idea of ​​balance that meant).

Saaz and Hersbrucker are both excellent choices, you cant go wrong with them. If you want it to taste like a czech lager use the saaz, Most czech beers use that hop. Other classics are Hallertau Mittlefrau and Tettnang.

(If you live in America and want to use domestic hops Liberty, Sterling, Santiam, and Crystal are good choices.)

Hello giraffe! Thank you for your answer. I'm not trying to make a Czech Pilsner type .. My influences are more inclined to Americans.
I am in search of a well-balanced beer Lager type that corresponds to the taste of malt and hops in beer

Hello giraffe! Thank you for your answer. I'm not trying to make a Czech Pilsner type .. My influences are more inclined to Americans.
I am in search of a well-balanced beer Lager type that corresponds to the taste of malt and hops in beer

Well what do you want to make flavor-wise? There's no right answer here.

For AM lagers I use a clean bittering like Magnum or N.Brewer then hit it with whatever aromatic I'm feeling, done Cascade, Amarillo, and Sazz so far. I shoot for 40ish IBUs. Been using flaked maize in the mash as well. Has a mellow sweet character that kinda keeps it from being super dry. I've Dry hopped some lagers as well, sky's the limit on such a clean beer.

Hello, Philosofool thanks for the reply! I'm in search of a Lager with flavors and aromas that can about getting out of beer, but at the same time with the malty, ie a well-balanced Lager type one "IPA Saison" (I know that the styles are different, but it was just to give you an idea of ​​balance that meant).

In that case, I would try doubling or tripling the 30 and 15 additions and adjusting the 60 to hit a BU:GU around 1! You're making me thirsty... Good thing I am in a taproom...

Which amount to 55 liters you advise?
By chance just got out of a craft beer ehehe

For AM lagers I use a clean bittering like Magnum or N.Brewer then hit it with whatever aromatic I'm feeling, done Cascade, Amarillo, and Sazz so far. I shoot for 40ish IBUs. Been using flaked maize in the mash as well. Has a mellow sweet character that kinda keeps it from being super dry. I've Dry hopped some lagers as well, sky's the limit on such a clean beer.
By chance even I have cascade at home when I'm thinking of using for an IPA, but I'm not any kind of hops for bitterness for Lager

I mean, fruity, citrusy, piney, spicy, earthy etc. Also not sure what you mean by a balanced saison ipa lager.

I mean, fruity, citrusy, piney, spicy, earthy etc. Also not sure what you mean by a balanced saison ipa lager.

I prefer a fruity beer, citrus and Spicy.
What do you think a combo of Cascade + Saaz to get a good aroma?

Well you got earthy\spicy and citrus notes there. Try it out.

What do you think about this?
Batch size: 55 liters / 14.5 Gallons
Mash Step: Single Infusion Medium Body
In mash (Infusion): 60M at 66C / 151f
Mash Out (temperature): 76C / 176F
Malts:
- Pale Ale : 10kg / 22lbs
- Wheat Pale Ale: 3 kg / 6,6lbs
- White Sugar (add at the end Boil 10m): 500g / 17,6oz
Hops:
- Centennial - 30g / 1,05oz - 60m
- Centennial - 65g / 2,29oz - 10m
- Chinook - 65g / 2,29oz - 10m
- Nelson Sauvin - 65g / 2,29oz - 10m
- Centennial - 150g / 5.29oz - Flameout / Hops Stand - 30m
- Cascade - 150g / 5.29oz - Flameout / Hopstand - 30m
- Chinook - 150g / 5.29oz - Flamout / Hopstand - 30m
- Nelson Sauvin - 150g / 5.29oz - Flamout / Hopstand - 30m
Dry-Hopped:
- Centennial - 65g / 2.29oz - 7 Days
- Cascade- 65g / 2.29oz - 7 Days
- Chinook - 65g / 2.29oz - 7 Days
- Nelson Sauvin - 65g / 2.29oz - 7 Days
Yeast:
- US-Saflager 05
OG: 1,056
FG: 1,011
IBU's: 50.7
Color: 11 EBC
ABV: 6%
What do you say about this recipe? Do you think it will be a beer with flavor, aroma and hoppy?
What changed in your opinion?[/QUOTE]
Go for it ,I wouldn't change a thing[/QUOTE]
Batch size: 55 liters / 14.5 Gallons
Mash Step: Single Infusion Light Body
In mash (Infusion): 60M at 66C / 151F
Mash Out (temperature): 76C / 176F
Malts:
- Pilsner: 10kg / 22lbs
- Carapils: 1 kg / 2,2lbs
- Melanoid 1kg: 22 lbs
Hops:
- Saaz - 40 / 1,41oz - 60m