lager fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuthin_original

Reaction score
is it unadvisable to rouse (swirl the fermenting liquid in my carboy) my brew? i think i remember hearing something about it helping the yeast, but need a second, or fiftieth opinion.

The BBC page on home brew says to stir the bottom up for a day or two after pitching which I tried with my very first batch with no ill effects.... however the consensus on here was not to touch the wort after pitching and I have followed that advice on successive attempts.... However, instead I have been disolving my dried yeast so that it is completely suspended in a jug, and using slightly warmer water (30 celcius) to A) give it a kick start and B) stop it falling to the bottom of the primary and thus negating the need for extra agitation.

Hope this helps.

is it unadvisable to rouse (swirl the fermenting liquid in my carboy) my brew? i think i remember hearing something about it helping the yeast, but need a second, or fiftieth opinion.

:confused: why do you want to do this? do you thing something is wrong? if so, what makes you think that?

dont think anything is wrong, just want to have the best fermentation possible... guess i'm just curious about the two different doings, and which is best : ) thanks!

Back