Quantcast

lager fermenting question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

nuthin_original

Reaction score
is it unadvisable to rouse (swirl the fermenting liquid in my carboy) my brew? i think i remember hearing something about it helping the yeast, but need a second, or fiftieth opinion.

Ballistic

Reaction score
The BBC page on home brew says to stir the bottom up for a day or two after pitching which I tried with my very first batch with no ill effects.... however the consensus on here was not to touch the wort after pitching and I have followed that advice on successive attempts.... However, instead I have been disolving my dried yeast so that it is completely suspended in a jug, and using slightly warmer water (30 celcius) to A) give it a kick start and B) stop it falling to the bottom of the primary and thus negating the need for extra agitation.

Hope this helps.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
I would recommend against oxengating your wort after fermentation has started. If you see a nice head of krausen leave it be.

Lou

Reaction score
is it unadvisable to rouse (swirl the fermenting liquid in my carboy) my brew? i think i remember hearing something about it helping the yeast, but need a second, or fiftieth opinion.
:confused: why do you want to do this? do you thing something is wrong? if so, what makes you think that?

OP
nuthin_original

nuthin_original

Reaction score
dont think anything is wrong, just want to have the best fermentation possible... guess i'm just curious about the two different doings, and which is best : ) thanks!