Texas Lager fermentation. Room Ambient 74 to 77

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fethdarman

Reaction score
I have not made a batch of beer in 45 years. I decided I wanted to make Lager. I ordered myself a conical Fermentor SS Brewmaster 7 gal. My brew room in the summer runs 74 to 77 ambient. I will be using the FTSS TEMP CONTROL. Will an ice chest be able to keep up with Lager temperatures? If not would a water supply from a freezer work. :mug:

Scott
Houston Texas.

Honestly, I doubt it on both counts. . Remember, you not only have to ferment it cold for a couple weeks, but then you need to lager it cold for a couple months. Winter is the time to make Lagers if you don't have a dedicated chamber or the jacketed fermenter and chiller for it.

Thank you Sleepycreek. I saw that yeast yesterday. With me not knowing a lot about yeast at this time I could only ponder about what I was looking at. Thank you for the yeast information.

I know this is an old thread, but I have some experience with the FTSs system that I think could be useful to others:

Ambient temps up to 77, is a little warm for a lager...but I found the neoprene sleeve that comes with the FTSs system to be pretty effective. Here’s my recommendation if you want to try it:

Fermentation
1) Pre-make some ice blocks using silicone loaf molds (I used the Traytastic available for about $12 on Amazon). Ice blocks melt slower than ice cubes and will reduce the maintenance for keeping your ice chest water cool. You’ll want 2 molds to be able to keep up with the ice block demand for several weeks.
2) cold crash your wort to pitching temp prior to putting in the fermenter...it’ll take too long to get it there with the FTSs system...it’s better at maintaining temp in my experience.
3) keep making ice blocks, add a few every day. I usually added 1-2 in the morning, 1 in the evening, depended on how the blocks were holding up. Having some made in advance will take the pressure off of you if you’re busy to have to keep making new ones.

Lagering
I just lager in my second refrigerator. Rack the beer to a second container, remove the shelf from the fridge, put it in and wait. It’s 40°F in there. Ive has good results with this method.

Latest posts

Back