lager brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCHB

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Can I use an ale yeast for fermentation a lager? I have a safale 04 and i want to brewing a lager, is it possible?

Definitely not. You can brew an ale and call it a "lager" if you find that that makes your beer more appealing to you but there is no way you can get a true lager profile without the proper yeast and fermentation process.

This is true, but if you want to make a beer with some of the qualities of a lager, you can with US-04.

Use a lager like recipee and then let finished beer cold crash a couple of weeks, and you can get clear refreshing beer.

Maybe OP only has US-04 on hand. Also, it depends on ones set up, I rack from fermenter and cold crash kegs after spunding.

Before I made my chiller, I only could crash after racking, which is still what I usually do since my conical can't take the pressure of full carbonation spunding.

If someone can cold crash, why not just use an actual lager strain and ferment cold like you should with a lager?
because my lager yeast will arrive 20 days later, but with explanation of all guys i decided to brew this batch an ale and waiting for my lager yeast for next batch 😉 thanks everyone

You can definitely brew lager-like beers using ale yeast, but it takes the right ale yeast and right fermention schedule. Specificallly, a very clean ale yeast (not S-04) and cool fermentation temperatures.
With S-04 you are surely way better off brewing an ale and calling it an ale :)

I just did a 3-way split batch of a cream ale using S-04, BRY-97, and London ESB yeasts, all fermented low to mid 60s. I was shocked to discover that the London ESB yeast came out exceptionally clean and lager like after a couple months of age. I don't think I could replicate this experiment if I tried. You might try it but YMMV. The S-04 beer on the other hand turned out mildly fruity and quite delicious, almost Belgian-like, but certainly not anything like a lager.

Back