Lager and yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgian Novice

Reaction score
Hi all - LHBS just sold me a True Brew Pale Ale kit when I was asking about trying my first Lager style and also sold me Saflager S-23 yeast which he said was lager yeast. Got home and noticed that it is Dry Ale Yeast. Any Issues with that?

Hmmm....interesting experience. Don't think he was too keen on me trying a lager. I figured I had a cold basement and thought it was time to at least give it a shot. :)

You've got a collectors item on your hands. There was a batch of S-23 released with a 'typo' on the English side where they used the word Ale instead of Lager. The french side of the package is correct- levure a basse fermentation.

Most of the erroneous packages have got a paper sticker over the top which includes the correction. I peeled the sticker off one to see what the difference was.

This is genuine lager yeast, I just finsished making two batches of Helles with it, good stuff. :mug:

Well, there ya have it. Would have been surprise if the guy steered me wrong, but he has done in the past by accident. Thanks, y'all, again.

Back