Lactose.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
I have yet to find anywhere, how much lactose to add for sweet stouts. I have read 1 pound per 5 gallons, but no one says how sweet it is. I've had sweet stouts but they all had little to no sweetness. I want to take a sip of it and get a bitterness and sweetness of the stout. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for the help.

My suggestion would be make a stout, and when it's time to bottle, add the lactose then. That way you can dial in the sweetness that you really want without guessing. Just boil some water and add the lactose to dissolve it.

I do 1 lb per 5 gallons. I don't like them too sweet.

2nd this...

I do 1lb/5gal and generally shoot for an FG around 1.018-1.026 depending of OG. Both stouts on tap now finished @ 1.024 and are around 5.5% and taste pretty solid. I know if I am brewing with lactose, to mash a bit lower so I dont have a high FG.

Id start out with 1lb/5gal and go from there. If you desire sweeter, up your lactose, or mash with a higher temp. Dont forget to take your yeast into account as well

Thanks for the information. How much water do you use to dissolve the lactose? This sounds very similar to adding honey for taste. Boiling water and dissolve the honey.

I mash high and use half a pound of lactose. My FG usually is between 1.021 and 1.025.

Lactose adds 35 points of gravity per pound per gallon of wort (ppg).

My last sweet stout, I mashed at 153F. It had an OG = 1.065 and an FG = 1.021. At half a pound, 3.5 points of both the OG and FG were lactose.

Since its unfermentable, it can be added at any time.

Back