Lactose Vs MaltoDextrine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBig2014

Reaction score
Recently transferred my porter aged on buffalo trace barrels for 10 months to my fermenter. body was lacking a bit, flavor and complexity were on point. Fermentation is finished, was looking to add one of these sugars post-fermentation to enhance the body a bit.

There are pro and cons to both sugars lactose with its lactic acids quality and dextrin with its potential jello like thickness if added to much , but willing to take risks for higher reward.

Maltodextrine is PARTIALLY fermentable. So it will add a bit ot the abv, but is mostly used to boost body and some sweetness

Lactose is NOT fermentable. It wont contribute to abv, only raise the target OG and FG by 0.008/lb per 5gal batch if I remember right. It contribute more to sweetness and body, and has that milky factor

I've never used maltodextrin. Lactose works for me. I imagine they are pretty much interchangeable.

About 1/2 lb per 5 gallons will add just a little something extra. Use less than that and you might not be able to detect the difference at all. Use 3/4 lb for a fuller body. A full pound would be downright thick and not recommended unless you really like it heavy.

Thanks for the feedback. the best part about these forums/websites is people like you guys and everyone else who strives to make the best beer possible. I am currently a brewer at a large brewery in SC and yet I still look to my peers for advice. thanks again cheers

Back