Lactose in the boil? Milk stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
I'm going to completely rethink my brewing since I have done two so far that I have not been too happy with. Just bought Beersmith and I am going to downsize the batch sizes...no need to make 5 gallons of so-so beer, so I will make 2-3 gallon sizes.

I am looking at a Milk Stout recipe, Milk O'Stout. I am looking through the instructions and it appears that you just add the lactose at the beginning of the boil, but it is not clear.

My question is this; do you really want to add the lactose at the beginning of the boil? I would think that any sugar that boils for 60 minutes will begin getting caramelizing. Perhaps this is what you actually want...I don't know.

Just hoping for some clarification from someone who may have tried something like this before. Thanks!

I've done it both ways. But generally with any kind of sugar addition (though lactose is unfermentable) I generally add it with about 10-15 minutes left in the boil, just to ensure it get completely dissolved into the wort.

In fact, I just made a Mocha Oatmeal Stout yesterday with 10oz of lactose, added with 10 minutes remaining in the boil.

The beauty of lactose is it can be added any time due to it not being fermentable. I typically add half with about 10 minutes left in the boil and half at bottling by mixing it with my priming sugar when I boil it.

I would add with about 15 min. left in the boil. If you want to add at bottling, that would work too, just make sure to boil it with the corn sugar.

I brewed a milk stout a few weeks ago. I added 1 lb at about 15 minutes left. I added it right to the boil, as lactose dissolves easily.

Back