Lactose and maltodextrin settlement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix1854

Reaction score
I have brewed a few beers containing lactose and others I added maltodextrin (usually imperial stouts), and each time the lactose and maltodextrin just settles to the bottom of the fermenter. I usually put the lactose in at the start of the boil, and if I use maltodextrin I put it in around 30 minutes. I assume they would dissolve and not settle like they have. What’s the deal here? Is there any way to insure they are dissolved or integrated into the beer properly? Or is this just how they act?

Here is a picture of my most recent imperial stout for reference. I used maltodextrin in this one.
1AA52117-6299-4A64-8AED-8EA45992F017.jpeg

This looks like normal cold break to me. Mostly protein that settles out in any batch. Probably nothing to do with lactose or maltodextrin unless yours might be a ripoff with insoluble fillers.

Interesting. Every time I’ve used lactose or maltodextrin I get two to three times more settlement/trub than when I don’t use them. I can’t imagine I’m getting ripped off. A few times they’ve come in kits.

From the title I thought this was going to be about a lawsuit, maybe with one suing the other for falsely claiming to be sweeter or providing more body.

I have brewed a few beers containing lactose and others I added maltodextrin (usually imperial stouts), and each time the lactose and maltodextrin just settles to the bottom of the fermenter. I usually put the lactose in at the start of the boil, and if I use maltodextrin I put it in around 30 minutes. I assume they would dissolve and not settle like they have. What’s the deal here? Is there any way to insure they are dissolved or integrated into the beer properly? Or is this just how they act?

Here is a picture of my most recent imperial stout for reference. I used maltodextrin in this one.
View attachment 692874

But did you get some rise in the final gravity by using maltodextrin?

Back