Lactose and Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastur

Reaction score
So I brewed up a pumpkin ale about a month ago, and when I went to bottle, added a significant amount of lactose to half of the batch. Fast forward to this week, and both of the bottles which had the lactose had very little carbonation, while the bottles without were carbed fine.

Is there any connection between carbonation time and the amount of lactose? I know it's non fermentable, but would it interfere with the regular dextrose?

Thanks!

"a significant amount of lactose"

One possibility is that you added enough to boost the osmotic pressure on the yeast cells. That would slow down the carbonation process. How much lactose in what volume?

Did you add priming sugar to the batch you added lactose to?

I've brewed with lactose, even boiled it alongside my priming sugar at bottling time, and never noticed any issues or even and significant delay in carb time. As long as there's priming sugar in there for the yeast to eat, it should eat that and nor the lactose....

Yep, just added the lactose in addition to the same amount of dextrose I usually use. I was just wondering about the interaction between the two, but I'm guessing based on david's response that it just slowed down the carbonation. I'll crack open a bottle this week and see if there's any difference.

Back