Lacto infection turn out fine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanThomas

Reaction score
So I am curious if any of you have had a beer get infected with lacto towards the end of fermentation and turn out fine. If so, how did you handle it once you saw it forming?

Happened to me once or twice. I simply checked my gravity, if it's stable for a couple days, even if not, but close to terminal, I rack to keg, cold crash, push out the suspended yeast, and carb. Turned out fine. RDWHAHB. If you're bottling, just make sure everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is sanitized. It'll be ok. Yeast are fearsome creatures capable of fighting off infections if caught early enough. Of course cold temps help this out greatly. My thoughts, anyway.

Well, I don't have an extra fridge, so I'm going to throw the 60-some bottles that I yield into a big tote in the basement after I sanitize the bejeesus out of my bottles and caps (yea, caps).

Been there. Kinda funny. Just tonight I took a peek into my HopDamnber and saw something funny, kinda lacto looking. It's closing on 2 wks, w/ a dry hop 5? days ago @ 70+F. I've seen this before w/wlp001, I used US05 for this Damnber. The 001 batch was great, I packaged, crashed, all was well. But tasting it tonight, the Us05 batch, I'm reassured. Im guessing, if it IS lacto, it must've been the hop bag or my hands, but sometimes the yeast doesnt wanna leave the surface. A good gentle swish of the fermenter will drop those lil buggers. Someone once said, " as soon as you pitch, you give up most control over what those yeast do." Or, something like that...
I think it was someone on this forum :)

I think I've got one in my secondary of IPA.. It's being really odd, and hasn't been like the rest of my beers in the past.

I tossed more hops in there to see if that changed anything. More hop gunk floating on top, but those odd bubbles, and some crazy movement in the secondary like it's fermenting. Could be C02 though in solution.

I'll be pissed if I have an infection..

I plan to rack to keg and chill it, and pray that it'll make it till the end of the month and taste good. Otherwise I'm dumping and I'll have to use my personal stash to give away since this batch isn't worth using for the wedding.

Exactly once. I just let it ride out. It ended up tasting ok. Any other infection I've had tastes like band aids and feet.

You can't undo an infection. Either dump it or package it right away and drink it as quick as you can.

Back