Lactic acid= Stuck sparge??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double-R

Reaction score
Been using Bru'n water for the last 6 brews.
I never noticed the lactic acid addition it calls for the sparge water.
So today I did.. Drained tun after 60 min.. I don't do "mash outs".
Then added the 3.4mL of acid straight to the mash.
Then added the 6.4 Gallons of sparge water..And mixed/stirred.
Now the 1st, four or so gallons run smooth.But towards the end it slowed down to the point of stopping (stuck sparge).Blowing on the drain hose got it back flowing.
Could the addition of the acid straight to the mash then adding the sparge water cause the stuck sparge.
Can the acid Gum UP the grains...??? Never happened on the other brews were I didn't add the acid
And just 2-row,no wheat in grain bill.. Thanks

I've not had any stuck sparge issues when using lactic acid, but I've only used it three batches. One of them being a 50% wheat malt grain bill though.

My first guess would be that something else resulted in your stuck sparge situation.

Add the acid addition to the sparging water prior to adding that water to the mash. I don't know if adding that acid directly on the top of the grain bed affected the bed's permeability, but its possible. Adding the acid to the sparging water may avoid a stuck sparge repeat.

Back