Lack of Hop Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bheher

Reaction score
The last two beers I have brewed have lacked on hops. Bitterness, flavor and aroma, there really isn't too much of anything.

The two recipes I have used are:

Founders Porter:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/any-founders-porter-clone-recipes-info-160119/

Jamil Moose Drool:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-big-sky-moose-drool-175358/

I cant see anything process related to change, I brew all grain and bring the wort to a rolling boil. I filter all my water thru a brita filter. Should I up the hops on my next batch or look at a chemistry/gypsum addition?

I don't see that those two recipes are going to be real hoppy. I will add if I drink a lot of the same thing I become desensitized. When I move on to something else and come back to it, the flavors pop more.

PT Ray, I agree neither beer is hoppy. However when I did a side by side with the real founders I noticed a huge lack of hops in my beer.

How long do you let the flameout hops steep before chilling?

Adding a touch of gypsum may help the hops pop a bit more, but you need to know the chemistry of your brewing water if you don't just want to take a blind stab at it.

How long do you let the flameout hops steep before chilling?

Adding a touch of gypsum may help the hops pop a bit more, but you need to know the chemistry of your brewing water if you don't just want to take a blind stab at it.

I agree with the above. Since the poster of the original recipe even stated that the founders is not a very hoppy recipe what about moving the 20 min. additions to 5-10 min and maybe doubling the flameout additions?

Even if water chemistry is not an issue this should get you a lot more hop flavor without changing the recipe too much!

Just an idea and good luck!

I did a side by side with the real founders I noticed a huge lack of hops in my beer.

Now I see what you're getting at. I would increase your hopping rates. I've brewed identical batches before and for whatever reason the hop profile will easily vary. I say for "whatever reason" but were talking different crops of the same hop, varying freshness and my brewing methods have changed over the years.

OK I will increase my hopping rates at the 20 and the 5-10 min addition. Then maybe add some gyspum on anything that I want a little more hoppy.
As for flameout hops, I usually add them and stir for a minute or two then drop my chiller in.

Back