Lack of Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumblingsages

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm just getting back into home brewing after being away from it for about 20 years. My how things have changed!!

I'm starting back up with relearning the basics with extract brewing. My first batch since starting up again was the Nut Brown Ale extract kit from Northern Brewer. It turned out great with one exception. There is zero head! Not even close to what Northern Brewer shows in their picture.

I do know that I lightly carbonated the beer (2.2 vols according to BeerSmitth), as I don't like the mouth feel of fizzy beers. It's not flat, but its on the light end of brown ale carbonation profile according to the 2015 beer style guidelines. So that probably plays a role, but I doubt its the only reason.

I did allow the beer to bottle condition 2 weeks before trying it. It wasn't there there yet, took about 4 weeks at room temp (68F in the basement) to get to where it was right. By right I mean, it gives the nice fizz sound when popping the cap and doesn't taste flat.

Are there any suggestions people can offer me to help with building up the head on this beer without necessarily increasing the carbonation level? Do I need to include more oat to grain bill or is it just a technique thing?

--Mark

How you clean your equipment, bottles, and glasses can negatively affect head. You should never use soap, laundry detergent, or dish detergent to clean any of the above, as it can leave residues that will kill head. Clean with PWB or Oxy-Clean Free, and rinse well.

With the low carb volumes, you might need to pour a little more aggressively to kick up some head, as pouring down the side of the glass won't help your situation.

Brew on :mug:

Check on what doug said, but another option is to add a small amount of wheat to the recipe. It is my understanding that wheat has more of the proteins that contribute to head formation and retention than 2 row. I would just replace about a 1/2 pound of your base extract with wheat extract and see if it helps.

Yes things have changed. Doug's advice is great. Also use the oxi on your glassware, if you have been washing your glass in the dishwasher or using regular dish soap this can also be a culprit.

Thanks everyone. I think you might be onto something. I get most of the bottles I use from the beer I've bought. So when I clean & sanitize my bottles I do the following.

1) Run them through the dish washer. This would involve Cascade Complete + Rinse Aid.
2) Star San each bottle utilizing at beer tree like this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/45-bottle-drying-tree only mine has a reservoir on top that sprays the star san into the bottle.
3) Place the bottle on the beer tree to dry while making the priming sugar.

Would that do it?

Another potential culprit is how I'm removing bottle labels. To do that I make 5 gallon buck of water and Oxiclean. But its not Oxiclean Free. Is there a difference?

Really appreciate the help everyone!

--Mark

The rinse aid in the dishwasher is particularly bad. Regular Oxy has fragrances (and maybe other stuff you don't want) added.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks everyone. I think you might be onto something. I get most of the bottles I use from the beer I've bought. So when I clean & sanitize my bottles I do the following.

1) Run them through the dish washer. This would involve Cascade Complete + Rinse Aid.
2) Star San each bottle utilizing at beer tree like this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/45-bottle-drying-tree only mine has a reservoir on top that sprays the star san into the bottle.
3) Place the bottle on the beer tree to dry while making the priming sugar.

Would that do it?

Another potential culprit is how I'm removing bottle labels. To do that I make 5 gallon buck of water and Oxiclean. But its not Oxiclean Free. Is there a difference?

Really appreciate the help everyone!

--Mark

The Rinse Aid is probably the problem. It is nearly impossible to remove the Rinse Aid with just a Starsan rinse. You'll have to drink this batch without the heading because there is no way to recover it. Next batch, clean your bottles with the Oxiclean free and then double rinse them, that is use two separate sinks so you rinse the bottles in one, then rinse them again in the second sink.

For the last few years, when I empty a bottle of my beer I rinse it out well immediately so I get the yeast out before it dries, then turn the bottle upside down to drain and let it dry (your bottle tree would be perfect for this). When the bottle is dry I turn it rightside up and put it into the box the bottle came in. At bottling time I just double rinse the bottles, use Starsan, and fill them.

Latest posts

Back